BATON ROUGE, La. -The fourth-ranked Georgia women's tennis (19-3, 12-2) team battled to an impressive 4-1 win over No. 18 Texas A&M in its quarterfinal match of the SEC Tournament at the LSU Tennis Complex Friday morning.
Mariana Gould clinched the match for Georgia after battling back from a second-set deficit on the fifth singles court, allowing the Bulldogs to advance to the semifinals where they will face No. 5 Vanderbilt at 11 a.m. ET on Saturday.
"In the postseason you're just always trying to fight, survive and create opportunities for the next day," said Georgia head coach Jeff Wallace. "That's what we did today. I thought doubles was well played by both teams, and we found ways to get through at the end and get a 1-0 lead. When Aggies were raising their game up, we were raising our game up even more. It was some really great tennis."
The Bulldogs took a tight doubles point two matches to one, starting with a win on the top court by Ellen Perez and Gould, 6-4. After a loss on the second court soon after, Caroline Brinson and Laura Patterson delivered their third doubles point clincher of the year, 7-5, to give Georgia a 1-0 lead in the match.
Perez continued her perfect run in conference play to kick off singles with a quick 6-2, 6-2 win on the top court, extending Georgia's lead to 2-0 in the match.
After Texas A&M took the third court, Brinson stormed past her opponent in the third set to claim a 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 win on four to give Georgia a 3-1 lead in the match and put the Bulldogs on the brink of victory.
The clincher came from Gould, her third of the year, as she battled back from a second-set deficit to take the match 7-6, 6-4. Gould broke Gonzalez in the final game to clinch the match for the Bulldogs.
No. 4 Georgia 4, No. 18 Texas A&M 1
- #12 Perez/Gould (UGA) def. #31 Pierson/Paalma (TAMU), 6-4
- #72 Bhosale/Mamalat (TAMU) def. #66 Garcia/Shaffer (UGA), 6-3
- Brinson/Patterson (UGA) def. Gavrilovska/Deheza (TAMU), 7-5
- #3 Ellen Perez (UGA) def. #25 Saska Gavrilovska (TAMU), 6-2, 6-2
- #47 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) vs. #74 Rutuja Bhosale (TAMU), 6-2, 3-6, 4-4
- Rachel Pierson (TAMU) def. #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA), 6-4, 6-4
- #30 Caroline Brinson (UGA) def. Ines Deheza (TAMU), 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
- Mariana Gould (UGA) vs. Domenica Gonzalez (TAMU), 7-6(7-2), 6-4
- Laura Patterson (UGA) vs. Eva Paalma (TAMU), 6-4, 4-6, 4-1
Georgia (19-3, 12-2), Texas A&M (16-10, 7-7)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,4,5)