BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Craig Engels of the Ole Miss men's track and field team and Aubrey Edie of the Rebel volleyball team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Mississippi.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27.
Highlights of Ole Miss' nominees include:
CRAIG ENGELS, Men's Track & Field, Ole Miss
Major: Business Administration
- CoSIDA Academic All-District (2016) Three-time USTFCCCA All-Academic
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Helped Ole Miss win its first NCAA title in the distance medley relay (1200m leg) in 2017
- Five-time All-American in track & field (2015 outdoor 800m, 2016 indoor DMR, 2016 outdoor 1500m, 2017 indoor DMR and 800m)
- Four-time SEC champion in track & field (2015 indoor DMR, 2016 indoor DMR, 2016 outdoor 1500m, 2017 indoor DMR)
- Two-time All-Region in cross country (2015, 2016)
- Helped Ole Miss to a program-best fourth-place national finish in cross country in 2016
- School record holder in the outdoor 1500m (3:37.66) and indoor DMR (9:30.48)
- Placed fourth in the 800m and fifth in the 1500m at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials, just missing a spot on Team USA for the Rio Olympics
- Graduated in December 2016 with a bachelor's in general studies (minors in business administration, environmental studies and theatre arts), 3.63 GPA
- Pursuing a master's in business administration
AUBREY EDIE, Volleyball, Ole Miss
Major: Elementary Education
- Taylor Medal - Highest academic honor at Ole Miss
- Who's Who Among American Colleges and Universities
- First player in program history to receive an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship
- Became first two-time CoSIDA Academic All-American in program history in 2016 and first player to be named to the first team
- Three-time CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team honoree
- Three-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll Chancellor's Honor Roll every semester
- Ranked fourth in the NCAA in active career assists Ranked fifth in the SEC in assists per set
- Paved the way for the Rebels to have hitters among the top 10 in the SEC in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and boast two players in the top 10 in kills and points per set in 2016
- Earned AVCA All-South Region honors
- Elementary education major with a 3.98 GPA
- Two-time member of the SEC Community Service Team
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men's golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.