BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -Sean Culkin of the Missouri football team and Lauren Reedy of the Tiger diving team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Missouri.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27.
Highlights of Missouri's nominees include:
SEAN CULKIN, Football, Missouri
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll (2013, 2015, 2016)
- Played the 2016 season as a graduate, as he received his bachelor's in education in May of 2016
- Cumulative GPA of 3.23
- Made 32 career starts in his four-year Mizzou career, and finished with 61 catches for 601 yards and 2 TDs
- Had career-bests in catches (24), yards (282) and yards/catch (11.8) in 2016
- Team captain in 2016
- Chosen to represent Mizzou as one of its three student-athletes at 2016 SEC Football Media Day
- Selected to play in the Tropics Bowl following his senior season at Mizzou
- Leader on the team in community service/outreach, volunteering with the local Boys/Girls Club, University Hospital, Race for the Cure, Mizzou Moves, Special Olympics and Central Missouri Food Bank, among others
- Also worked in an internship this past year in the financial industry
LAUREN REEDY, Diving, Missouri
Major: Nutritional Sciences
- Three-time SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll (2014, 2015, 2017)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.91
- Nine-time Dean's List selection
- SEC Female Diver of the Year (2017)
- SEC Female Diver of the Meet (2017)
- SEC 1-meter champion (2017)
- Three-time All-America honorable mention honoree (2015, 2017)
- 2017 FINA World Championships qualifier (mixed synchronized 3m)
- Graduating with a bachelor's degree in nutritional sciences in May 2017
- Spent more than 18 hours volunteering for Granny's House in the fall of 2016
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men's golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.