Men's Runner of the Week: Alex Riba, Texas A&M
- Texas A&M's Alex Riba opened the season with an individual victory at the Aggie Opener, covering the distance of 6,000m in 18:14.5. Riba bettered the runner-up by 4.5 seconds in leading Texas A&M to a team victory.
- The Aggies scored 26 points to finish ahead of Texas (36), Incarnate Word (75) and UT-Rio Grande Valley (101).
- Riba was limited to one cross country race in 2016 as he ran with the Aggies at the NCAA South Central Region (10k). During the 2017 track season he advanced to the NCAA semifinals in the 1,500m after placing seventh in the SEC Championships.
Women's Runner of the Week: Jessica Drop, Georgia
- Georgia's Jessica Drop led the Lady Bulldogs for the sixth time in seven meets by winning the WCU Cross Country Festival with a two-mile time of 10:40.12.
- This marked Drop's second consecutive season-opening individual victory.
- Aided by her twin sister Sam's runner-up finish, the Georgia women won their opener with a near perfect score of 17
Men's Freshman of the Week: Michael Hans, Georgia
- Georgia's Michael Hans competed in his first meet as a Bulldog and was fourth overall to be a scorer for Georgia at the WCU Cross Country Festival.
- Hans ran a 15:39.66 on the 5000-meter course and topped 48 other competitors.
- Georgia scored a perfect 15 to win the meet
Women's Freshman of the Week: Jenna Lutzow, Missouri
- Missouri's Jenna Lutzow made a highly impressive collegiate debut, finishing eighth overall at the JK Gold Classic with a 4k time of 14:25.6.
- Lutzow helped Mizzou win the meet as she was one of four top-10 finishers.
- She was also one of six top-15 finishers for Mizzou.