NORTHBROOK, Ill., - Allstate Insurance Company and the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) announced Thursday the 22 college football players and honorary head coach named to the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®. This award shines a spotlight on the incredible stories of selflessness and community service displayed by these student-athletes and honorary head coach, and honors their dedication to volunteerism and enriching the lives of others.
Among the 22 student-athletes selected, four are from the SEC: Auburn's Daniel Carlson, Georgia's Aaron Davis, Kentucky's Courtney Love and Vanderbilt's Tommy Openshaw.
Earlier this season, sports information directors from Divison I, Division II, Division III and NAIA schools across the country submited nominations of players they felt best embodied the spirit of the Good Works Team® award, one of the most coveted off-the-filed honors in college football. An esteemed voting panel consisting of former Good Works Team® members - including two-time national champion, Heisman Trophy winner and 2009 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® member Tim Tebow - and prominent college football media members narrowed down the nominees to the final roster.
Tebow and the rest of the voting panel were faced with a list of 146 nominees with robust community service resumes that was narrowed down to the 22 student-athletes and a honorary coach named to the team. From helping to build homes overseas to providing resources to foster care children, the members of the 2017 Good Works Team® are changing the lives of others both locally and abroad.
The 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® will be invited to New Orleans to participate in a special community service project ahead of the 2018 Allstate® Sugar Bowl®, where the entire team will also be recognized on the field at halftime.
In addition, Allstate will honor Good Works Team® players by creating special volunteer events in select markets throughout the season in conjunction with its All Hands In program, which encourages the college football community to come together and do good.
"These select student-athletes and honory head coach are an inspiration for their commitment to enriching the lives of others while contributing to the greater good of society," said Thomas Clarkson, president of the west territory for Allstate Insurance Company and a member of the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team voting panel. "We are proud to honor this outstanding group of individuals and to help give back to the communities and organizations that are part of the fabric of college football culture."
The following players and honorary head coach have been named to the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team®:
Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS)
- Daniel Carlson - Auburn University
- Gabe Brandner - Duke University
- Mavin Saunders - Florida State University
- Brent Stockstill - Middle Tennessee State University
- A.J. Cole, III - North Carolina State University
- Brandon Smith - Pennsylvania State University
- Harrison Phillips - Stanford University
- Shaq Jones - University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Aaron Davis - University of Georgia
- Courtney Love - University of Kentucky
- Tommy Openshaw - Vanderbilt University
Combined Divisions (FCS, II, III & NAIA)
- Reece Foy - Amherst College
- Josh Dalki - Bethel University (Minn.)
- Ryan Stratton - Edinboro University
- Jake Daugherty - Ferris State University
- Tyler Schubert - Franklin & Marshall College
- Jacob Jenness - Northwestern College (Iowa)
- Gunnar Orcutt - Peru State College
- Will Gillach - Saint John's University (Minn.)
- Jake Wieneke - South Dakota State University
- Patrick Mohorcic - The College of Wooster
- Dillon Vaughan - West Texas A&M University
Honorary Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald - Northwestern University
"The 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team is a shining example of the great student-athletes that populate the rosters of college football teams all across the nation," AFCA Executive Director Todd Berry said. "Since 2008, the AFCA takes great pride in working with Allstate to honor these 22 outstanding student-athletes, and honorary head coach Pat Fitzgerald, who go above and beyond to make their universities and communities a better place."
Fans are encouraged to visit ESPN.com/Allstate to vote for the 2017 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team® Captain now through November 23, 2017. The Team Captain will be honored at this season's The Home Depot College Football Awards on ESPN.
Throughout the season, fans can also follow along and join in on the conversation by searching and using #GoodWorksTeam on their social media channels.