OXFORD, Miss. - In their third meeting this year, Ole Miss dominated Georgia 3-0 here Sunday at the Gillom Athletics Performance Center to advance to the semifinals of the National Invitational Volleyball Championship.
The Rebels now await the winner of the West Virginia/Syracuse match, which takes place Monday, to determine if they get to host again or travel.
Sophomore Emily Stroup led the way with a record-setting day. She tallied 15 kills on a .433 clip and became the single-season record holder with 438 kills.
Ole Miss took an early 13-9 lead in the first set, and Georgia called its first timeout. The Rebels led 18-13 late as the Bulldogs used their final timeout. Georgia got within three, 23-20, but then Stroup and Nayo Warnell had back-to-back kills to close out the set 25-21.
The Rebels hit .375 in set two and sided out at an impressive 91 percent to take it 25-11 and a 2-0 lead in the match.
Georgia picked it up a little in the beginning of the third set as the two teams traded points. The Rebels gained a 10-9 lead and never relinquished it, winning 25-19 to complete the shutout.
• Ole Miss improved 20-14 on the season.
• The Rebels have now won six of the last seven and two of three this year against Georgia.
• With their 20th win of the year, head coach Steven McRoberts has now led a team to 20 wins in 19 of his 21 seasons as a head coach.
• Sophomore Emily Stroup posted 15 kills on a .433 attack percentage to lead the Rebels.
• Stroup became the single-season kills record holder now with 438.
• The top five single-season kills marks now belong to Emily Stroup, Lexi Thompson and Kate Gibson.
• The Rebels hit .290, marking the third straight match for them to finish around .300.
• Sophomore setter Jordan Fate posted 21 assists and 6 digs.
• Freshman setter Lauren Bars tallied 3 kills on a .600 clip, 7 assists and 4 blocks.
Talking to Emily Stroup... "
We came out ready to play, and it was a great team win. We all played well together and I am glad we could finish it in three and take the series this year."
On the single-season kills record... "I am honored to have the record, and grateful to my setters, Jordan and Lauren for getting me the ball. I wouldn't have the kills without them. It's also really cool to be playing on the same team with Kate and Lexi (all three have the top five single-season marks in school history), and I am glad we get to play together another week.
The Rebels will face either West Virginia or Syracuse in the semifinals of the NIVC at time and date to be determined.