JONESBORO, Ark. - It was another big night for the Ole Miss bats as the Rebels cruised to a 15-8 win over Arkansas State for their 40th win of the season.
Ole Miss (40-13) tallied 15 runs on a season-high 17 hits to cap its regular-season non-conference schedule at 24-2 and tie for its best record ever in midweek games at 13-1. It marks the third time in the last five years that the Rebels have tallied 40 regular-season wins.
The Rebels scored in every inning but the fourth and ninth. They jumped on the scoreboard with three runs in the first inning thanks to a two-RBI single by Cole Zabowski in the opening frame. Zabowski finished as one of seven Rebels with multiple hits on the night and one of five with multiple RBI.
Arkansas State responded with a run in the first and another in the second, but the Rebel offense remained relentless. Nick Fortes drove one run home on a double in the second, and the Rebels added two more in the third on a two-run homer by Tyler Keenan. Keenan scored on a Grae Kessinger single in the fifth and again on a Michael Fitzsimmons single in the sixth. Thomas Dillard homered in that sixth inning as well.
The Red Wolves threatened in the bottom half of sixth, plating four runs on a pair of home runs by Kyle MacDonald and Jacob Jablonski. However, the Ole Miss offense got three of those runs right back. Kessinger went deep for Ole Miss' third home run of the night to start the seventh inning, and the Rebels plated two more on a Keenan single to take a 13-6 lead midway through the inning.
MacDonald went yard yet again, a two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh to make it a five-run gap once again, but Fitzsimmons answered back with the Rebels' fourth home run to open the eighth inning, and Kessinger applied the finishing touches on the seven-run win with a sacrifice fly.
Starter Jordan Fowler went 5.0 innings, giving up just one earned run on four hits with four strikeouts and two walks to improve to 6-0 on the season. Max Cioffi and Will Stokes each turned in scoreless relief appearances, allowing one hit between them with five strikeouts, one walk and one hit allowed.
The Rebels continue their four-game road swing with a trip to Alabama this weekend, where they'll wrap up the regular season with a Thursday-Friday-Saturday series in Tuscaloosa.
- Ole Miss is the fourth team in college baseball to reach 40 wins and the second in the SEC behind Florida.
- With the win, the Rebels tied the school record for the most wins in the regular season and are the fastest in program history to reach the 40-win mark.
- The Rebels are 24-2 in non-conference games for the most out-of-conference wins in school history.
- Ole Miss tied the program's best mark at 13-1 in midweek games.
- Ole Miss has hit multiple home runs in seven of its last nine games.
- The Rebels picked up their first win in Jonesboro since 2015.
- Ole Miss' 17 hits came as a season-high.
- The Rebels' four home runs tied a season-high.
- Eight different Rebels scored a run, eight had a hit and six had an RBI.
- The Rebels had seven multi-hit games and five multi-RBI games.