BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 19, 2016) -- Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men's golf team and Jennifer Miller of the Rebel soccer team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Mississippi.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2016 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 28.
Highlights of Ole Miss' nominees include:
Forrest Gamble, Men's Golf, Ole Miss
- SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year (2015)
- Capital One/CoSIDA Academic All-American (2015)
- Named to the Chancellor's List every semester
- Finished in the top-ten at the FAU Slomin Autism Invite to help the Rebels towards a first place finish
- Fired a season-low round of 2-under par 69 in the opening round of the FAU Slomin Autism Invite
- Finished in the top-20 at the Shoal Creek Invitational in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama
- Paced the Rebels with two rounds of even-par 72 at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship to help Ole Miss finish second
- Fired a career-low 66 at the SEC Championships at Sea Island, Georgia, en route to a tie for 11th place
- Competed in every tournament his freshman season, earning his first top-five finish at the Querencia Cabo Collegiate
- Physics major with a 3.97 GPA
Jennifer Miller, Soccer, Ole Miss
- Named to SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll each year of her career
- Helped Ole Miss win the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Team Academic Award
- Began Pharmacy School in the fall of 2015, and received her coat from the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy at one of the Rebels' home matches
- Appeared in 81 contests in her Rebel career, starting in all but 10 matches
- Tied for team lead in assists with seven in 2015, helping the Rebels to their first ever Sweet 16 appearance
- Served as a team tri-captain in 2014
- Played over 6,500 minutes in her Rebel career totaling eight goals and 11 assists
- Part of the Rebel senior class that tied for the most wins of any senior class with 51 over the four-year span
- Pharmaceutical Sciences major
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Nathanael Franks of the Arkansas track & field team and Maddie Locus of the Georgia swim team.