STARKVILLE, Miss. - Behind a blistering .554 hitting percentage, the No.6 University of Florida volleyball team dispatched Mississippi State University 3-0 (25-23, 25-18, 25-14) on Sunday, Nov. 6, inside the Newell-Grissom Building.
The Gators battled the Bulldogs through the initial set of the match as it featured 18 ties and seven lead changes but the Florida offense continued to assert itself in the following set to take control of the match 2-0. UF used an 8-3 run in the second set to take a 15-10 lead and the momentum in the match.
Rhamat Alhassan, Alex Holston and Rachael Kramer paced the Gators offense as the trio combined for 36 kills with only a single attack error in the match. Alhassan produced a season-high .800 hitting percentage (13/1/15) and was just shy of her career-high mark of .846.
Holston (13/0/21) and Kramer (10/0/14) went error free offensively in the match with hitting percentages of .619 and .714 respectively.
No. 6 Florida: 22-2, 12-1 SEC
Mississippi State: 12-15, 4-9 SEC
NOTABLES AND TRENDS
* Florida remains undefeated against Mississippi State and now holds and all-time record of 47-0.
o Today's straight-set sweep of the Bulldogs marks the 44th time overall that the Gators have defeated Mississippi State in three sets and the 10th straight sweep dating back to 2010.
* Florida hit .554, marking the fifth time in the last five matches the Gators hit above .350
o The mark stands as the fourth highest hitting efficiency rating produced in a single match by a Gator squad.
* Tied for the fewest errors produced in a match this season as the team only committed four
o Gators only recorded four on Sept. 10, against Morgan State
* Entered today's match ranked No. 13 nationally in blocks per set (2.86) and improved on that average with nine total in today's match.
* For the fourth time in the last five matches, three-time All-American right side Alex Holston committed zero errors, and she registered 20-plus attacks in three of those four matches
* Today marked the fifth time this season freshman middle blocker Rachael Kramer hit .700 or above with at least eight total attacks
o First time this season she recorded double digit kills with no errors
* Allie Monserez turned in her fourth double-double of the season as she effectively distributed 42 assists and ripped up 11 digs in the three set match
WORDS FROM WISE
Florida head coach Mary Wise on Alex Holston's play...
"I'm not sure that I have seen that the roll she is on in terms of her offensive production. Some of her swings out of the back row are what we call 'nasty' - her swings are just angles that are crazy."
Florida returns to Gainesville for a pair of SEC rematches with South Carolina and Alabama. The Gators face USC on Friday (Nov. 11) at 7 p.m., while Sunday's (Nov. 13) Alabama match time is still being determined. Sunday's match with the Crimson Tide will be televised by the SEC Network.
Sunday will also be Senior Day for the Gators, who will honor their only senior this year-three-time All-American right side Alex Holston.