GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- The University of Florida softball team earned its eighth berth to the Women's College World Series on Saturday after winning the final game of its best-of-three NCAA Super Regional against Alabama. UF finished off the series with a 2-1 win over UA in front of a charged-up crowd (2,216) at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
Sophomore Amanda Lorenz paced the Gators (55-8) all weekend as she went 5-for-8 (.625) with two runs scored, two RBI, one home run and three walks.
The Moorpark, Calif., native wasted no time on Saturday as she led off the Florida half of the first inning with a single to left.
After Kayli Kvistad walked to move Lorenz over to second, Aleshia Ocasio recorded an RBI single up the middle. The Gators were able to scratch one more run across after Janell Wheaton was walked to load the bases and freshman Jordan Roberts was hit by a pitch.
Undaunted, Alabama (47-17) bounced back in the top of the second and cut the Gators lead to 2-1 via a two-out triple from Rachel Bobo and an RBI single by Elissa Brown.
Pitching and defense ruled the remainder of the game, as sophomore Kelly Barnhill (24-3) retired 16 of the final 17 hitters she faced. For the game, Barnhill allowed just two hits, one run (earned) and one walk, while striking out 12 Crimson Tide hitters.
Barnhill's counterpart, Alexis Osorio, was just as impressive after the first inning as she retired 15 of the following 19 Gators she faced. In addition, Florida did not have a baserunner in scoring position following the first inning.
For the game, Osorio allowed just three hits, two runs (both earned) and recorded eight strikeouts.
Florida will open play Thursday at the WCWS at noon ET against either Tennessee or Texas A&M. Check FloridaGators.com for broadcast information and more information.
- Florida advances to the Women's College World Series for the eighth time in program history and the first time since 2015.
- The program now holds a 2-1 record when having to play a game three in Super Regional action. 2014 vs. Washington Won the series, 2-1 (W, 9-0; L, 3-4 & W, 8-0), and advanced to the WCWS. Eventually went on to win the program's first NCAA National Championship. 2007 at Texas A&M Lost the series 1-2 (L, 2-0; W, 3-2 & L, 2-0)
- The Gators improved to 17-6 all-time in Super Regional play with today's win over Alabama.
- The team is 5-2 overall in the NCAA Tournament this season and has won three-straight elimination games. Oklahoma State (5/21), Alabama (5/26) and Alabama (5/27).
- The Gators now hold a 7-1 record against Alabama in NCAA Tournament play.
- In the month of May, the team now holds a record of 9-4 this season and an overall record of 154-71.
- Florida's 12 strikeouts today is the 33rd time this season the team has produced 10 or more strikeouts in a game and the fifth time in this year's NCAA Tournament.
- Kelly Barnhill hurled her 18th game of the season with 10 or more strikeouts. She also struck out the side two times tonight, which brings her season total to 48.
- Amanda Lorenz finished Super Regional play 5-for-8 at the plate after a 1-for-2 performance today with a run scored and a walk.
- Freshman Jordan Roberts recorded her first career postseason RBI with a hit by pitch in the first inning.