OKLAHOMA CITY - Florida's season came to a close on Saturday evening after falling 2-0 to Oklahoma in a rematch of the 2017 WCWS Championship series.
Runs came at a premium for both teams throughout the game, but the Sooners were able to break through in the first and fifth to clinch the victory.
Oklahoma's Jocelyn Alo gave the Sooners the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first after she hit a home run to down the left field line, her 30th of the season. The OU insurance run in the fifth came after a wild pitch allowed Caleigh Clifton to score from third.
The Gator defense played a strong game, behind two spectacular catches from Jaimie Hoover.
Kelly Barnhill started the game for the Gators, pitching two innings. She allowed one run on two hits and struck out one batter in the decision. Aleshia Ocasio came in for relief, finishing the game for Florida. She allowed one hit on one run and struck out six in her final game as a Gator.
Seniors Kayli Kvistad and Janell Wheaton produced the two Gator hits, with each going 1-for-3 at the plate.
- The Gators ended the 2018 WCWS with a 1-2 record and end the season with a 26-16 all-time record at the WCWS.
- Florida fell to 1-7 overall against Oklahoma and 0-3 when facing the Sooners in the WCWS.
- The 2018 senior class of Kayli Kvistad, Nicole DeWitt, Aleshia Ocasio and Janell Wheaton end their Florida career with a record of 230-35 (.867).
- The quartet of players have won one National Championship (2015), four SEC regular season championships (2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018) and one SEC Tournament Championship (2018).
- Kayli Kvistad finished the 2018 WCWS with a .625 average (5-for-8) at the plate and three RBI, a home run and two runs scored.