ARLINGTON, Texas - Fast-paced and physical is the best way to describe the University of Arkansas' 66-65 win in the first road game of the season at UT-Arlington on Wednesday.
The Razorbacks (2-0) trailed 54-53 but opened the final frame on a 9-0 run as the intensity and urgency elevated in final 10 minutes of the game. Senior Malica Monk picked up her fourth foul and returned to the bench with 5:13 to go and the Lady Mavs rallied for a 6-0 run. The North Little Rock native returned to the game with 3:27 to go but the Razorback scoring drought continued as UTA closed the gap and took the lead.
Down one, 65-64, UTA went to the line and missed both bonus shots. Monk grabbed the rebound and called timeout to advance the ball.
Arkansas got the ball at half court with 3.2 seconds on the clock. The ball was inbounded and Tolefree took hard dribbles down the center of the lane and hit a pull-up jumper that floated in to lift Arkansas to the thrilling win.
Arkansas was paced by Tolefree and Monk who finished with 18 points each while sophomore Chelsea Dungee had 16 points for the Razorbacks.
The game featured 16 ties and 13 lead changes in a back-and-forth battle. Both teams put together big scoring runs throughout the game as neither squad was able to maintain the momentum.
- Arkansas starters: Alexis Tolefree, Malica Monk, Kiara Williams, Jailyn Mason, Chelsea Dungee
- The Razorbacks are 8-0 against UT-Arlington and are 3-0 in Arlington.
- Redshirt sophomore Chelsea Dungee had 12 points in the first half. Senior Malica Monk and junior Alexis Tolefree had eight points each at the half.
- Double-figure scorers: Chelsea Dungee, Alexis Tolefree, Malica Monk
- The game was tied 16 times and there were 13 lead changes.
Arkansas returns to Bud Walton Arena facing its first ranked team of the season as they welcome No. 22 Arizona State. The game tips at 7 p.m. following the Razorback men's game against Indiana earlier in the day.