LINCOLN, Neb. - No. 24 Mizzou Volleyball (24-7) opened its 2018 NCAA Tournament with a bang Friday evening, cruising to a dominate sweep (25-17, 25-22, 25-18) over No. 23 Arizona.
Led by setter Andrea Fuentes orchestrating the offense, the Tigers produced 48 kills on .412 hitting. The phenomenal team percentage marked Mizzou's second-highest hitting mark in its 29-match NCAA postseason history.
#SHOWME TOP PERFORMERS VS. NO. 23 ARIZONA
- Fuentes: 44 assists, 7 digs
- Kylie Deberg: 11 kills, 2 aces, 7 digs
- Dariana Hollingsworth: 11 kills on .333 hitting, 7 digs
- Alyssa Munlyn: 10 kills on .833 hitting
- Tyanna Omazic: 7 kills on .500 hitting
- Leketor Member-Meneh: 8 kills on .412 hitting
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH WAYNE KREKLOW
On Friday's impressive performance against Arizona...
"Obviously we're very happy and pleased to be able to advance out of the first round. We knew coming in tonight that Arizona was a very good team, had a great season and did a lot of things very well. I didn't know what to expect and how things were going to go. I thought we played really well. I thought it was one of our better matches of the season. It was a good time for it, because I knew we'd need it. Offensively, we were really good in transition and you could tell by our hitting percentages that we were really clicking. It was a great way to start the weekend and I'm really proud of these two (Munlyn and Omazic) for what they brought tonight and the rest of the group. Survive and advance."
- Mizzou improved to 15-14 all-time in its NCAA postseason history.
- The Tigers have now advanced to the second round in their last five NCAA Tournament appearances (2013, '15-18). Overall, Mizzou has advanced to the second round in 10 of its 15 all-time NCAA Tournament trips.
- Munlyn produced a historic match in more ways than one Friday, as her eye-popping .833 hitting percentage marked a new single-match career-high. Additionally, it now stands as the highest individual single-match hitting percentage in Mizzou postseason history, surpassing the previous mark of .765 by Na Yang (Dec. 3, 2005 vs. Arkansas).
- One of the keys to Mizzou's success was its strong serving game, as it finished with eight total aces. Six Tigers recorded at least once ace, led by two apiece from Deberg and Annika Gereau.
- The eight aces ranked tied for second in Mizzou single-match NCAA Tournament history.
- Mizzou's offense showed incredible consistency against Arizona, recording .375-plus hitting percentages in each set, including consecutive .430-plus hitting totals to close out the match.
- With 44 assists against the Wildcats, Fuentes produced an incredible 14.67 assists per set overall. It marked her third match this season with 40-plus assists in a three set contest. To no one's surprise, Mizzou possesses a perfect 3-0 record in those matches.
- The .412 hitting percentage by the Tigers marked a new 2018 season-high. It's now one of two .400-plus team hitting matches this season, joining their .402 hitting performance in a sweep vs. South Carolina (Oct. 5). Riley Sents shined defensively in the back row, finishing with 17 digs. It stands as her most digs in a three-set match this year.