BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Cole Gordon of the Mississippi State baseball team and Logan Boss of the Bulldog track & field program have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Mississippi State University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2019 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 25.
Highlights of Mississippi State's nominees include:
COLE GORDON, Mississippi State, Baseball
Major: Kinesiology; Marketing
- Owns two bachelor's degrees, one in business administration and one in marketing, posting a 3.83 GPA during his undergraduate career, graduating Summa Cum Laude.
- On track to graduate in summer 2019 with his MBA, currently owning a 3.66 GPA in the program.
- Earned President's Scholar (3.80 GPA of higher) during five of his eight undergraduate semesters.
- Was a Dean's Scholar (3.50-3.79 GPA) in each of his three remaining undergraduate semesters.
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection, 2016, 2017, 2018
- First Year Honor Roll as a freshman, 2015
- Arrived at Mississippi State and spent his first season as a hitter, seeing time off the bench as a pinch hitter, before transitioning to the mound as a sophomore.
- Owns 61 career appearances and has compiled nine wins and 12 saves. Gordon has 10 career starts, with nine coming during his sophomore season.
- In 133 innings of work, Gordon owns a .227 batting average against with 154 strikeouts.
- Worked 25-straight scoreless innings between the June 3, 2018 vs. Oklahoma in the NCAA Tallahassee Regional and March 10, 2019 versus Maine. That streak is No. 2 in program history to Jonathan Holder's 27 1/3 innings during the 2012 season.
- Finished 2018 ranked No. 6 in the SEC in saves and sits tied for No. 2 after seven weeks in 2019.
LOGAN BOSS, Mississippi State, Track & Field
Major: Business Administration
- Three-time First Team Indoor & Outdoor All-American in high jump, 2017, 2018
- SEC Indoor High Jump Champion, 2018
- School record holder - indoor and outdoor high jump
- Two-time NCAA Indoor bronze medalist in high jump, 2017, 2018
- Recipient of an NCAA Women's Enhancement Postgraduate Scholarship, 2018
- Earned her bachelor's degree in kinesiology with a concentration in clinical exercise physiology in spring 2018, finishing with a 3.86 GPA
- Five-time President's Scholar (3.80 GPA or better)
- Three-time Dean's Scholar (3.60 GPA or better)
- Named to the Bulldog Honor Roll every semester of her undergraduate career
- Two-time track and field Newsom Award winner, awarded to the top scholar-athlete of the year for each team on campus, 2017, 2018
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll honoree, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Placed fourth at the USATF Championships in 2018
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were University of Tennessee football player Parker Henry and LSU volleyball player Kelly Quinn.