BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Nathan Hite of the Texas A&M track and field team and Lisa Bratton of the swimming and diving program have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Texas A&M University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2019 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 25.
Highlights of Texas A&M's nominees include:
NATHAN HITE, Texas A&M, Track & Field
Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Received the NCAA Elite 90 Award twice for having the highest cumulative grade-point average among athletes competing in the NCAA Track & Field Championships, 2018, 2019
- Majoring in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.974 GPA.
- Placed first in 2017 CASMART Challenge (Consortium for the Advancement of Shape Memory Alloy Research and Technology), a semester-long interscholastic competition between undergraduate teams to create and test a shape memory alloy with specified properties for use in creating a space habitat.
- Two-time bronze medalist in the heptathlon at 2018 and 2019 SEC Indoor Championships as well as bronze medalist in the decathlon at 2018 SEC Outdoor Championships.
- Qualified for NCAA Championships in heptathlon and decathlon.
- Career best heptathlon score of 5,680 points ranks No. 2 performer with the No. 5 performance on the Texas A&M all-time list. His decathlon career best score of 7,774 points ranks as the No. 4 performer on the Aggie all-time list.
- Texas Relays decathlon champion with his career best score of 7,774 to become just the second Texas A&M athlete to win the event at the 92nd Texas Relays, 2019
- Earned USTFCCCA All-Academic honors, 2017, 2018
- Bill Erwin male Scholar-Athlete of the Year among all sports at Texas A&M, 2018, 2019
Lisa Bratton, Texas A&M, Swimming & Diving
Major: Ocean Engineering
- SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year Swimming & Diving, 2018
- Texas A&M Scholar-Athlete of the Year, 2018
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award - Ocean Engineering Department, 2018
- President of Omega Epsilon Ocean Engineering Honor Society, 2018-2019
- Texas A&M Women's Swimming & Diving Team Captain, 2016-2018
- 2018 World Champion -- 2018 FINA Short Course World Championships - 200 Backstroke
- USA Swimming National Team Member -- 2014-Present
- 15-time NCAA All-American
- 4-time SEC Champion
- School record holder (200 Backstroke, 400 Medley Relay)
- Will graduate with a bachelor's degree in ocean engineering in May 2019 with a 3.75 GPA (4.0 scale) with a 3.89 Major GPA
- Community Service: Aggies Can, Big Event, Special Olympics Swimming, SARC (Sexual Assault Resource Center) fundraising, Brazos Valley Food Bank, Masters Swimming
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in late May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were University of Tennessee football player Parker Henry and LSU volleyball player Kelly Quinn.