GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The 11th-ranked Florida volleyball team recorded its fourth-straight sweep on Saturday afternoon, defeating UL Lafayette 3-0.
Florida took the first set 25-15, followed by a 25-14 victory in the second. The Gators closed out the match with a 25-18 win in the third.
Thayer Hall was named Tournament MVP, while Marlie Monserez and Paige Hammons were both named to the All-Tournament Team.
As a squad, Florida hit .306, racking up 43 kills, all while holding UL Lafayette to a .037 clip. Holly Carlton led the way with 11 kills, while Thayer Hall pitched in 10 on the night.
Rachael Kramer finished with seven kills and a .636 clip, while Paige Hammons added six of her own with a .750 hitting percentage.
Marlie Monserez once again led the Gators in assists, dishing out 28 on the afternoon.
Allie Gregory recorded a career-high 24 digs and Monserez had a career day of her own, registering 17 digs in the match.
The Gators totaled 13.0 blocks during the three-set match, led by four from Kramer. Monserez and Mia Sokolowski both pitched in three blocks of their own.
Florida kicks off conference play next weekend, taking on the Auburn Tigers at 7 p.m. on Sept. 27. That is followed by a matchup against Georgia on Sept. 29 at 1 p.m.
How it Happened
- The Gators and Ragin Cajuns were tied at 9-9 early in the first set, but Florida went on a 10-2 run behind the serves of Marlie Monserez and Thayer Hall to hold the 19-11 advantage. UL Lafayette staved off two set points by the Gators, but a solo block from Marlie Monserez secured the victory for UF.
- Florida hit .278 in the first frame, holding UL Lafayette to just a -.071 clip. Rachael Kramer, Paige Hammons, Thayer Hall and Holly Carlton all pitched in three kills in the set.
- Once again Florida and UL Lafayette traded points early in the frame, sitting at a 10-10 tie. The Gators busted open an 8-1 run behind the serves of Thayer Hall and Allie Gregory. The Ragin Cajuns clawed back to within seven at 20-13, but Florida closed out the frame on a 5-1 run to go up 2-0 in the match.
- The Gators hit .400 in the second frame, all while holding UL Lafayette to a .081 clip. Holly Carlton led the way with four kills in the frame, while Paige Hammons pitched in two.
- In the third and final frame, Florida never trailed, grabbing a four-point lead at 14-10 behind the serves of Allie Gregory. The rest of the way, Florida held at least a five-point lead. The Gators got up eight points at 23-15 before UL Lafayette got to within six at 24-18. Rachael Kramer posted her seventh kill of the night on match point to secure the victory.
- Florida hit .275 in the third set, racking up 16 kills. Thayer Hall registered five kills in the frame, while Holly Carlton added four and Mia Sokolowski pitched in three.
- Allie Gregory recorded a career-high 24 digs on the day
- Marlie Monserez posted her second double-double of the year, recording 28 assists and a career-high 17 digs
- The Gators notched 70 digs in the three-set match. Dating back to 1998, the 70 digs are the seventh-most in a three-set match in program history
- Florida moves its win streak to seven matches, all coming at home UF improves to 6-2 in three-set matches this season
- The Gators improve to 1-0 against the Ragin Cajuns
- UF is now 1-0 in three-set matches against UL Lafayette
- Florida is now 1-0 against UL Lafayette in Gainesville, Fla.
- The Gators move to 517-67 in Gainesville, Fla.
Thoughts from Coach Wise
"Over the course of the month, we played many different types of teams. All of it combined, with how we've grown, will help us as we enter conference season."
Florida kicks off conference play with a home series against Auburn on Sept. 27 and Georgia on Sept. 29. Both matches will be streamed on the SEC Network+