TAMPA - The No. 9-ranked Florida softball team capped the USF-Rawlings Invitational with a pair of victories over Georgia State, 10-0 in five innings, and host USF, 6-1, at the USF Softball Stadium Sunday afternoon.
The Gators (4-1) hurled 12.2 innings of no-hit softball before the first hit was relinquished in the second game of the day. USF scored in the bottom of the 6th inning with two outs via a solo home run.
In the first game, freshman Rylee Trlicek (1-0) dealt her first collegiate no-hitter in the five-inning victory over Georgia State (1-3). The Hallettsville, Texas native's only base runner allowed was a hit-by-pitch issued in the bottom of the 4th inning with one out. The left-hander also registered six strikeouts and needed only 67 pitches in the effort to become the first freshman pitcher to throw a no-hitter for the Gators since Kelly Barnhill.
Barnhill registered her first collegiate no-hitter against Arkansas May 8, 2016.
Offensively, the Gators bashed four home runs against the Panthers - which ties the single-game, opening-weekend record. UF hit four home runs against Arizona in 2013 and against Florida Gulf Coast in 2011. The Gators pitching and offense continued to shine in the final game of the tournament against USF. Junior Natalie Lugo hurled 5.2 innings of no-hit softball, but the first hit earned by the Bulls came after a 16-pitch at-bat by the Bulls ace Georgina Corrick.
Lugo forced Corrick to pop up to Roberts behind the plate for the second out, but USF capitalized on the long at-bat and produced a solo home run to break up that no-hit effort.
Trlicek closed out the game to earn her first save of the season. Eight different Gators registered a hit, with senior Jade Caraway going 2-for-3, along with Charla Echols and Jordan Roberts producing two RBIs a piece to pace the team at the dish.
- Trlicek's no-hitter was the first thrown by a freshman since Kelly Barnhill achieved the feat against Arkansas May 8, 2016 and is only one of four freshman pitchers to throw a no-hitter in program history. Kelly Barnhill - Arkansas (5/8/16) Delanie Gourley - Florida A&M (5/16/14) Lindsay Littlejohn - Longwood (2/19/06) The no-hitter is also only the second opening-weekend no-hitter in program history. Lauren Haeger - Wisconsin (2/9/14) - USF Invitational - Tampa, Fla.
- Florida's four home runs against Georgia State ties the opening weekend single-game record. 4 - vs. No. 13/14 Arizona (2/10/13) - Kajikawa Classic - Tempe, Ariz. 4 - vs. Florida Gulf Coast (2/11/11) - USF Invitational - Tampa, Fla.
- Roberts' multi-homer game was a career-high and first multi-home run game of her career. She now has 25 career home runs as a Gator.
- Walton secured his 898th career victory in the win over Georgia State and USF. He currently has an overall record of 898-232 in 18 seasons as a head coach.
- UF is now 2-0 all-time against Georgia State. The program is now 50-13 against USF and have won the last 16 games in the series.
Florida now gears up for a nine-game home stand that starts Tuesday, Feb. 11, with an exhibition against Team USA at 6 p.m. on SEC Network+.