CLEARWATER, Fla. - Alabama split its two games Friday at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational, posting a 9-1 run rule victory over South Florida before falling to second-ranked UCLA, 7-0.
Alabama (4-3) and USF (0-6) played a tightly-contested three innings to start the day before a three-run home run from junior Kaylee Tow kickstarted the Crimson Tide offense in the fourth, eventually scoring five runs and then three more in the fifth to complete the run-rule victory. In the day's second game against No. 2 UCLA (6-0), the Bruins built an early four-run lead after two innings and sophomore Megan Faraimo limited Alabama to just two hits, taking a no-hitter into the sixth inning in the 7-0 decision.
FROM HEAD COACH PATRICK MURPHY
"I was really pleased by the bounce-back of Sarah Cornell against USF. She kept us in the game until Tow gave us some breathing room with her home run. We gave UCLA too many free opportunities early on and they took advantage of them. Whoever wins the battle of free passes usually comes away with the win."
- Six of Alabama's seven walks drawn came with two out vs. USF
- After hitting just one home run on opening weekend, the Tide has hit one in three of its four games at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational, each coming from a different player
- Senior Alexis Mack had a season-best three hits against the Bulls, giving her at least one hit in five of her eight games played at Alabama
- Of her 68 pitches thrown against USF, senior Sarah Cornell threw 46 strikes with just 22 balls
- Freshman Savannah Woodard broke up UCLA's no-hit bid with a sixth-inning single, giving her at least one hit in six of her eight games this season including a streak of three straight
- B1st | Back-to-back walks with two out set up junior KB Sides for an RBI single that dropped into shallow center (Alabama 1, USF 0)
- T2nd | Dezarae Maldonado hit a solo home run to tie the game (Alabama 1, USF 1)
- B4th | With two on and one out, Tow blasted a home run over the right field fence to put Alabama back on top (Alabama 4, USF 1)
- B4th | The USF outfielder overran a two-out single to shallow center from Sides, allowing sophomore Skylar Wallace to score all the way from first (Alabama 5, USF 1)
- B4th | Junior Maddie Morgan followed Sides' RBI single with a double to drive in her fellow junior from first base (Alabama 6, USF 1)
- B5th | After the first two batters reached base, Mack laid down a bunt and forced an errant throw past first base, as both runs scored and Mack stood up at third (Alabama 8, USF 1)
- B5th | With two out and a runner at third, Wallace sent a single up the middle to cap the run-rule victory (Alabama 9, USF 1)
- B1st | With two runners in scoring position and one out, a line drive bounced off the third base bag and allowed a run to come in for the Bruins (Alabama 0, UCLA 1)
- B1st | A passed ball on ball four put the batter at first and allowed the runner at third to come home (Alabama 0, UCLA 2)
- B2nd | With the bases loaded, a force out at second on a ground ball went for out number one but the batter was safe at first on the RBI fielder's choice (Alabama 0, UCLA 3)
- B2nd | An RBI groundout tacked on another run for the Bruins (Alabama 0, UCLA 4)
- B4th | Briana Perez led off the inning with a solo home run (Alabama 0, UCLA 5)
- B5th | For the second-straight inning, the Bruins led off the inning with a solo home run, this one coming from Jenavee Peres (Alabama 0, UCLA 6)
- B5th | A passed ball allowed a runner to come home from third (Alabama 0, UCLA 7)
Alabama wraps up its weekend in Clearwater with a game against No. 16 Oklahoma State on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 9:30 a.m. CT.