GAINESVILLE - The No.11-ranked Florida softball team won two more games on the second day of the Bubly Invitational as the team picked up victories over North Dakota State, 1-0, and Longwood, 11-0 (5), at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
The Gators (9-1) picked up two complete-game shutouts behind the arms of junior right-hander Natalie Lugo and sophomore Elizabeth Hightower. Lugo (4-1) struck out seven of the 24 batters she faced and held the Bison to just two hits and a walk on 84 pitches.
Hightower put up similar numbers in the following game against the Lancers as she struck out eight of the 17 batters faced and limited the opposition to just one hit and a walk on 81 pitches.
Offensively, the top of the Florida lineup produced four of the five hits in the game against North Dakota State. Junior Hannah Adams (2-for-4) provided the walk-off highlights with her RBI single to left field that scored Sophia Reynoso from second base. Kendyl Lindaman, Charla Echols and Jade Caraway tallied the other three hits in the 1-0 victory.
Caraway started the rally in the 7th inning and was moved into scoring position by a perfectly executed SAC bunt from Hannah Sipos. In the next at-bat, pinch-hitter Jordan Matthews drew an intentional walk, which then prompted Reynoso to reenter the game and the opportunity to score the game-winning run.
In the second game of the day against Longwood, UF's offense nearly produced its fourth 10 hit performance of the season, but settled for nine in the shortened five-inning game. Adams (2-for-2) once again turned in a multi-hit game, while freshman Baylee Goddard (2-for-3) produced the first of her young career. Goddard's second hit, a three-run home run to opposite right field, capped the Gators scoring against Longwood, which gave the team an 11-0 lead. In the end, a total of seven different Gators tallied a hit in the game and nine different players scored a run.
- Kendyl Lindaman extended her hit streak out to nine games and the hit streak matches her longest as a Gator, which she achieved Feb. 9-16.
- Her career long hit streak is 10 games which lasted from March 12-April 1, 2017.
- The only game this season she hasn't picked up a hit in was the season opener against Illinois State.
- The Gators improved their all-time records against North Dakota State, 5-0, and Longwood, 13-0.
- Charla Echols, Hannah Adams and Kendyl Lindaman have all reached base safely in every game so far this season.
- Jade Caraway has reached base safely in nine out of the 10 games played.
- Florida picked up back-to-back shutouts on the day and now have five through the first 10 games.
- The Gators tallied a trio of multi-hit performances, two from Adams and one from Goddard, and now 17 spread out over nine different players.
- Today's walk-off victory North Dakota State was the first of the season for the Gators.
- Both Lugo's and Hightower's complete-game shutouts were the first of the season and third of their careers.
Florida is set to conclude action at the 2020 Bubly Invitational with a pair of games against Southeastern Louisiana and Florida A&M at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively.