CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. - No.9-ranked Florida took down No. 5 Arizona, 3-2, and walked-off against Northwestern, 3-2, during the first day of play at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic Friday afternoon.
The Gators (14-1) used timely hitting and quality pitching in the pair of victories over the top 25 competition. Senior Natalie Lugo picked up her third save of the season to thwart Arizona's attempt at a comeback in the 7th frame of the first game, then battled for 4.2 innings in the pitcher's duel with Northwestern.
Freshman left-hander Rylee Trlicek (6-0) picked up both wins on the day as she hurled 6.0 innings against a stout Arizona lineup and entered in 5th inning during a scoreless tie against Northwestern.
Senior Hannah Adams provided a pair of clutch hits on the day as she gave UF back the lead, 2-1, in the bottom of the 5th frame against Arizona and notched her second walk-off hit of the season against Northwestern with her RBI single to right field.
Overall the Gators hit three home runs on the day, which raises their total to 19 on the season. The team entered the weekend ranked 8th nationally in total home runs.
- Historically Florida has found success when being matched against ranked opponents. The Gators hold a 326-248 (.568) record against teams ranked in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll and a record of 285-159 (.642) against teams ranked in the ESPN.com/ USA Softball Poll.
- The winning percentage only increases during the Tim Walton era as Florida boasts a record of 262-119 (.688) against those ranked in the USA Today/NFCA poll and 259-121 (.682) over his 15 years at the helm of the program.
- The Gators are now 2-1 on the season against ranked opponents.
- Lindaman's RBI single against Arizona and solo home run against Northwestern improved her hit-streak out to 14 games, which now ranks third all-time amongst Florida seniors and sixth overall.
- 20 Games - Megan Bush - Feb. 25 - March 25, 2011
- 16 Games - Melissa Zick - April 14 - May 10, 2007
- 14 Games - Kendyl Lindaman - Feb. 8-21, 2020
- 13 Games - Aja Paculba - Feb. 11 - March 4, 2011
- 12 Games - Francesca Enea - Feb. 19 - March 7, 2010
- 11 Games - Ashley Boone - Feb. 16-24, 2001
- It's also ranks sixth overall in all-time hit streaks behind Kelsey Stewart (22), Megan Busch (20), Michelle Moultrie (19), Aja Paculba (16) & Melissa Zick (16).
- Florida improved to 6-5 all-time against Arizona and have won their last six meetings.
- With the win over Northwestern the Gators are now 5-2 all-time and have won the last three.
- Natalie Lugo extended her scoreless inning streak to a career-long 23.2 innings.
- She also struck out the side once in the top 1st inning against Northwestern, it's the second time this season she has struck out the side.
- The Gators picked up their third come from behind victory of the season and second walk-off win in the game against Northwestern.
- Adams, Lindaman and Echols each extended their reached base safely streaks to 15 games.
The Gators continue action tomorrow at the Mary Nutter Collegiate classic with games against No. 16 Arizona State 2:30 p.m. (PT)/5:30 p.m. (ET) and No. 1 UCLA at 5:30 p.m. (PT)/8:30 p.m. (ET). The team will close out the classic against Nebraska Sunday at 8:30 a.m. (PT)/11:30 a.m. (ET).