GAINESVILLE, Fla. - The No. 8 Florida picked up a 3-1 victory over FGCU in a midweek matchup Wednesday afternoon at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.
Freshman Baylee Goddard's two-run home run in the 5th inning lifted the Gators (18-4) to their second-consecutive win over the Eagles (13-7). Sophomore Charla Echols extended her hit-streak to five games and set the table for Goddard with her leadoff single up the middle - E.C. Taylor entered to pinch-run following the at-bat.
Earlier in the game, down 1-0 to FGCU, Florida rallied to tie the game with a series of base hits which was initiated by freshman Julia Cottrill's double down the right field line. Cottrill's extra-base hit was followed up with singles by Sophia Reynoso and Cheyenne Lindsey.
Adams tied the game when she plated Cottrill on a four-pitch walk issued by Eagles' starter Marissa Mesiemore.
Natalie Lugo (7-2) hurled her fourth complete-game of the season in the victory and struck out seven. The West Covina, Calif. native limited FGCU to just four hits, a walk and one run over the duration of the contest. FGCU reliever Sarah Lawton (6-3) registered the loss after she gave up the two-run home run to Goddard in the 5th frame.
- The Gators improved to 5-1 overall against FGCU and have now won the last two meetings between the two programs.
- UF also improved to 189-47 (.800) against in-state opponents and 138-17 (.890) while under head coach Tim Walton.
- The program is also 5-0 on the season against in-state opponents with wins over USF, UNF, Florida A&M and Jacksonville.
- With the strikeout and caught stealing double play in the fourth inning, the Gators now have 14 on the season. The team entered today's game tied for second nationally in the category.
- Lindaman's single in the 6th inning extended her hit-streak out to five games.
- The Ankeny, Iowa native now has registered a hit in 20 of the 22 games this season and has reached base safely in all 22 games.
- Adams and Echols have reached base safely in 21 of the 22 games this season.
Next Up Florida gears up for SEC Opening Weekend against Auburn. The three-game series is slated to start Friday at 6 p.m. on SEC Network +.