TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - An eight-run fourth inning put the game out of reach early, as Alabama baseball secured the series win over Lipscomb with a 14-2 victory on Sunday at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 15-1 on the season, already halfway to the season win total from a year ago.
Alabama's offense put up three in the second followed by an eight-run eighth inning to help ensure the win early. The offense totaled 10 hits, six of which went for extra bases, and drew nine walks on the way to 14 runs. Leading the charge was senior Brett Auerbach who finished 3-for-5 with two doubles, two runs, a walk and a career-high tying four RBI. Peyton Wilson also totaled double-digit hits, going 2-for-5 with a double, two RBI and a run scored. Leading UA in runs was senior Kolby Robinson, who finished with three as part of a three-walk day at the dish.
Antoine Jean (3-0) picked up his third win of the season with a one-run effort. He gave up the single tally on four hits while striking out six across his season-high 5.0 innings of work. Jean was followed by four Crimson Tide relievers who each contributed 1.0 inning apiece on the way to the Sunday win.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon "This was a really good day for us. I'm very proud of the way our guys responded to the tough game yesterday. Lipscomb certainly helped us some today, and to our guys credit, they did a great job of taking advantage of (Lipscomb's) mistakes. I'm just really glad we won the series against a good Lipscomb team."
How It Happened
B2 | Drew Williamson led things off with a single through the right side. The sophomore moved to second on a one-out walk to freshman Jim Jarvis. The bases were then loaded up with Robinson drawing a two-out free pass. The trio was brought in on a bases-loaded, three-RBI double from Auerbach to get the Tide out front first. (3-0, Alabama)
T4 | A one-out single followed by an RBI-double with two down got the Bisons on the board. (3-1, Alabama)
B4 | Alabama opened things up with an eight-run home half of the fourth. A bases-loaded walk to Auerbach scored one before a sacrifice fly from freshman Owen Diodati brought in another tally. Following a hit-by-pitch to load them up again, redshirt sophomore Sam Praytor drew a walk to push across a run. A pitching change was next, with the new arm throwing a wild pitch to score one more. Williamson drew a walk in that same at-bat, with ball four going wild and adding a fifth run. Junior Jackson Tate then delivered an RBI-double before Wilson cleared the bases one out later with a two-RBI double to left. (11-1, Alabama)
B5 | Auerbach led off the frame with a double and advanced to third on a flyout to right. Praytor brought him in on a fielder's choice one batter later to widen the gap. (12-1, Alabama)
T7 | A two-out single with runners on the corners scored one for Lipscomb. (12-2, Alabama)
B7 | Robinson led off with a walk and came home one out later on a two-run home run by Diodati. (14-2, Alabama)
- Antoine Jean worked 5.0 innings and used 74 total pitches for new season-best totals in each category. The left-hander also struck out six to match his season-high mark for Ks which he had a week ago on Sunday against Harvard.
- The Crimson Tide totaled double-digit runs for the eighth time this season.
- The Tide bats also accumulated double-digit hits for the 11th time in 2020 with 10 of those performances coming at home.
- Alabama hitters have now hit at least one home run in 12 of 16 games with multiple homers in five of those contests.
- Today's eight-run fourth inning tied for the highest-scoring inning the Crimson Tide has seen this season. The UA offense also put up eight runs in the eighth inning against Harvard on Feb. 29.
- Following his 3-for-5 game, Brett Auerbach has recorded a hit in seven straight games. During that stretch, Auerbach is batting .429 (15-35) with four doubles, a home run, eight RBI, nine runs scored, five walks and two stolen bases.
- Auerbach's four RBI in today's game ties his career-high mark. The senior also had four RBI at Samford last season on April 9.
- Kolby Robinson drew three walks today, a new career-high mark. His previous single-game high for walks was two, which he had accomplished twice, most recently at Auburn on May 4, 2019.
- Robinson finished his weekend with five total walks to tie for the team lead against Lipscomb.
Next up for Alabama is a trip to Birmingham on Tuesday, March 10, to square off with UAB. The Crimson Tide and Blazers are scheduled for a 6 p.m. CT first pitch at Regions Field, home of the Double-A Birmingham Barons.