BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Mason Overstreet of the Arkansas men's golf team and Tamara Kuykendall of the Razorback women's track and field team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Arkansas.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Arkansas' nominees include:
MASON OVERSTREET, Arkansas, Golf
Major: Sport Management
- Cumulative GPA of 3.886 in sport management
- 2019 SEC Men's Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- 2019 CoSIDA Academic All-District
- In seven semesters, has posted a perfect 4.0 four times to earn Chancellor's List and earned Dean's List (3.75-3.99 GPA) three times (only four career "B's")
- Career scoring average of 72.04 ranks 2nd on the school's all-time list
- His 459 career birdies rank third on the school's career list and his 13 eagles ties for first on the school's career list
- Has posted a 2019-20 scoring average of 71.46 to rank seventh on the school's single season list ... Also has the eighth-best, single-season scoring average in school history (71.52 in 2017-18) and the 16th-best (71.77 in 2018-19)
- Finished third in the 2019-20 season-opening Carmel Cup at Pebble Beach
- In 2019-20, had seven of his 24 rounds in the 60's, shooting 66 four times
- 2017 NCAA runner-up
- 2017 honorable mention All-American; 2018 All-Central Region
TAMARA KUYKENDALL, Arkansas, Track & Field
Major: Educational Studies
- Honors graduate, Educational Studies with 3.788 GPA
- SEC Honor Roll, 2017-18, 2018-19; SEC First Year Honor Roll, 2016-17
- Champions List: Spring 2017, Fall 2018, Fall 2019
- ADs List: Spring 2018, Spring 2019; Razorback Honor Roll: Fall 2016, Fall 2017
- NCAA Outdoor Championships bronze medalist (4x100-meter relay), 2019
- First leg of 4x100m relay which set Arkansas record (42.65), ranks as 7th fastest school all-time
- NCAA Outdoor Qualifier (100m), 2019
- Competed in SEC Indoor Championships, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Competed in SEC Outdoor Championship, 2018, 2019
- Career best times of 7.47 (60m), 11.45 (100m), 23.66 (200m)
- Ranks 8th in 100 meters on Arkansas all-time list
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.