BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Blake Schilleci of the Auburn baseball team and Bailey Nero of the Tiger women's swimming and diving team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Auburn University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Auburn's nominees include:
BLAKE SCHILLECI, Auburn, Baseball
Major: Software Engineering
- Holds a 3.72 cumulative GPA in the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering
- Received the Auburn Alumni Endowed Scholarship and the R. Conner Warren Endowed Scholarship
- Four-time member of the Dean's List - Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019
- Named to the 2019 Spring SEC Academic Honor Roll and to the 2017-18 First-Year SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Named to the 2019 SEC Community Service Team
- Interned with NASA last summer, working with the Launch Control System and its mission to go back to the moon
- Has accepted a full-time job with Boeing and will work in its Defense, Space and Security division upon graduating in May
- Two-year letterwinner for the Auburn baseball team (2018-19)
- Posted career bests in appearances, ERA, innings and strikeouts as a senior a year ago
- 2019 College World Series participant
BAILEY NERO, Auburn, Swimming & Diving
- Graduated with a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in December 2019
- Four-time NCAA participant
- Earned four NCAA All-American honors as a senior
- SEC Top-5 finisher in the 200 and 400 IM as a senior
- SEC Community Service Team, 2019
- SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Representative on Auburn's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
- Top 5 fastest in school history in 200 and 400 IM
- Top 10 fastest in school history in 100 and 200 butterfly
- 2012 and 2016 Olympic Trials qualifier
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.