GAINESVILLE, Fla. - It's a sweep of 2020 gymnastics coaching honors for the University of Florida's Jenny Rowland.
Today, the Women's Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA) names Rowland its National Coach of the Year. Yesterday, Rowland was awarded the SEC Coach of the Year and earlier this month, picked up the WCGA Region 5 Coach of the Year. A vote of the nation's collegiate gymnastics coaches gave Rowland this season's national award.
Rowland is Florida's fourth named WCGA National Coach of the Year:
What Earned Rowland the WCGA National Coach of the Year Honor:
- Florida was 10-0 in 2020 and No. 2 on final Road to Nationals standings.
- The Gators won their second consecutive SEC title with a 7-0 league record. It was UF's first undefeated league season since 1992 when all league teams began meeting during regular season action.
- Florida held the No. 2 position throughout the Road to Nationals rankings after being picked No. 3 in the preseason vote.
- Gators rank in top three in each of the final event rankings - No. 1 (beam), No. 2 (floor), No. 3 (vault & floor).
- Florida's team total of 198.375 (Jan. 24 vs LSU) is nation's No. 3 total for 2020 and also is No. 3 total all-time for Gator program.
- Four Gators - Alyssa Baumann, Rachel Gowey, Savannah Schoenherr, Trinity Thomas - earned nine WCGA All-America honors.
- Thomas is SEC Gymnast of the Year. She was joined on the All-SEC team by Gowey and Schoenherr.
- Florida equaled four Gator individual events records (10.0 - bars, beam, floor; 39.825 - all-around) and one team event record (beam - 49.675) in 2020.
2020 WCGA National Coaching Honors:
Head Coach: Jenny Rowland, Florida
Assistant Coaches: Lou Ball and Tom Haley, Oklahoma