BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Kirby McMullen of the Florida baseball team and Victoria Bindi of the Gator women's swimming and diving team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Florida.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Florida's nominees include:
KIRBY MCMULLEN, Florida, Baseball
Major: Food and Resource Economics
- Two-time Dean's List honoree, and three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll member
- President's Roll, Fall 2018
- SEC Career Tour as Florida's representative, 2019
- Completed an offseason internship with Dinkins Construction, 2018
- Contributing member of Florida's 2017 NCAA Championship-winning team (first national title in program's history)
- Also helped the Gators to consecutive SEC titles in 2017 and 2018
- Carved out a starting role as a senior, hitting .278 with 10 RBIs and four doubles
- Also drew a team-high 14 walks in 2020 to finish with a .458 on-base percentage, which ranked second on the team
- Posted a 4.57 ERA and a 3-0 record in three seasons as a relief pitcher for the Gators
VICTORIA BINDI, Florida, Swimming and Diving
- SEC Academic Honor Roll member, 2018 and 2019
- CSCAA Scholar All-America Honorable Mention, 2018
- SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2017
- Registered a 3.94 GPA during her undergraduate studies
- Named an Outstanding Leader of UF's Spring 2020 Graduating Class, the first UF student-athlete since 2015 to receive this honor
- Served as the University of Florida's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) President in 2019-20
- Met monthly with Florida Athletic Director Scott Stricklin as a member of the Gators Leadership Experience and represented the Gators at the SEC Leadership Conference in June of 2019
- Garnered Florida's Anderson Scholar Award with Highest Distinction honors in 2018
- Registered 20 points at the 2020 SEC Championships, setting new personal-best times in the 100, 200 and 500 free, while competing as a member of the sixth-place 800 free relay
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.