BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 13, 2020) - Nicholas Mascia of the Tennessee baseball team and Aubrey Leach of the Lady Vol softball team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Tennessee.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Tennessee's nominees include:
NICO MASCIA, Tennessee, Baseball
Major: Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Chancellor's Award nominee for Outstanding Scholar Athlete in 2019
- 2018 SEC Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year
- 2018 CoSIDA Academic All-America Second Team (First UT baseball player since 2005 to earn Academic All-America honors)
- 2018 CoSIDA Academic All-District 3 First TeamDean's List every year (2015-19)
- SEC Spring Honor Roll every year (2015-19)
- Had highest GPA among male student-athletes at Tennessee during 2015-16 and 2017-18 academic years
- Member of 2019 UT baseball team that ended a 14-year NCAA Tournament drought
- Led Vols with .487 slugging percentage and .439 on-base percentage
- Finished third on the team with a .278 batting average and five home runs in 2018
- Tied the Tennessee single-game record for runs scored in 2018 with seven against Western Carolina on March 27
- In 2019, started a job as a full-time employee in the University of Tennessee Medical Center in the orthopedic trauma unit as a medical assistant
- Throughout his baseball career, consistently led community service events such as visiting the East Tennessee Children's Hospital and leading teaching sessions for under privileged children in local schools
AUBREY LEACH, Tennessee, Softball
- Two-time Easton/NFCA Scholar-Athlete -- 2016, 2017Senior CLASS Award All-American Second Team, 2019
- Four-time Spring SEC Academic Honor Roll member 2016-2019
- Two-time All-SEC Team honoree - 2018, 2019
- Three-time NFCA All-Region honoree - 2017-2019
- Three All-American honors (NFCA 2018, 2019, Softball America, 2019)
- Set Tennessee single-season record runs record with 80, 2018
- USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top 25 Finalist, 2018
- Ranked No. 5 in Softball America's Top 100 Ranking, 2019
- VOLeaders Vietnam trip to spread inclusion and community through sport, 2017
- Rhett Syndrome Awareness Pre-Game Clinic, 2018
- Stronger TogetHER women's basketball clinic for children in Knoxville, 2018
- Autism Awareness softball tournament, 2015
- Light the Night Walk for Leukemia & Lymphoma Society -- 2015, 2016
- Take Back the Night walk for victims and survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence -- 2015, 2018
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.