BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 14, 2020) - Benjamin Walker and Raena Eldridge of the Texas A&M men's and women's swimming and diving teams have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Texas A&M University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Texas A&M's nominees include:
BENJAMIN WALKER, Texas A&M, Swimming & Diving
- CSCAA Scholar All-American, 2018, 2019
- SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2017-20
- AD Honor Roll, 2017-19
- Team SAAC representative
- Athlete Ambassador for 12th Man Foundation
- Holds the Texas A&M school record in the 100 and 200 Breast, and was part of the school record 200 and 400 medley relay teams
- Earned individual CSCAA All-America honors three times in his career
- Two-time SEC Champion in the 200 Breast
- A&M's first individual SEC swimming champion in 2019 and became the first individual swimmer in program history to win back-to-back SEC Championships with a win in 2020.
- Two-time First Team All-SEC honoree
- 2019-20 Team Captain
- Earned SEC Male Swimmer of the Week after helping the Aggies defeat LSU on the road and breaking an LSU Natatorium record in the 200 breast Helped A&M move up the dual meet rankings, rising as high as fourth for the team's highest ranking since the 2001 season.
RAENA ELDRIDGE, Texas A&M, Swimming & Diving
Major: Animal Science and Genetics (double major)
- Texas A&M 2019 and 2020 Bill Erwin Scholar-Athlete of the Year, recognizing the top male and female student-athletes at Texas A&M who balance athletics and academics while maintaining above a 3.25 GPA
- CSCAA Scholar All-American 2016-2019
- Boasts a 3.977 cumulative GPA, double majoring in Animal Science and Genetics
- SEC Academic Honor Roll 2016-20
- Project Leader of the Aggie Research Scholars Program
- Student Technician of Genetics Research Lab
- Served as team captain as a junior and senior
- Earned CSCAA All-America honors twice in her career
- Helped A&M to three straight SEC Team Championships throughout her career
- Holds a top-10 time at A&M in the 50 Free and 100 Back
- Recorded Olympic Trial Cut Times in the 50 Free and 100 Free at the Phillips 66 National Championships.
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.