BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 7, 2020) - Andrew Raspo of the Ole Miss men's track and field team and Emily Stroup of the Rebel volleyball team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Mississippi.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Ole Miss' nominees include:
ANDREW RASPO, Ole Miss, Track & Field
Major: Managerial Finance
- 2016-17 SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll
- Four-time member of the Chancellor's Honor Roll
- Two-time member of Dean's Honor Roll
- Two-time member of the SEC Spring Academic Honor Roll
- 2019 SEC Track Community Service Team
- Has taken part in community service efforts with Adopt a Basket, Reading With the Rebels and A Night to Shine
- Has also spent time serving at the local Boys and Girls Club
- 2019 NCAA Indoor First-Team All-American on distance medley relay squad
- Has scored twice at a SEC Championship meet during his career
- Ranks 13th all-time at Ole Miss indoors in the 60-meter dash (6.81)
EMILY STROUP, Ole Miss Volleyball
Major: Communication Disorders
- Three-time SEC Academic and Chancellors Honor Roll 2017, 2018, 2019
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Member
- SEC Community Service Team, 2018
- Senior CLASS semifinalist
- Became program's all-time kills leader in 2019 vs. No. 15 Kentucky, finished career with 1,553
- Finished career in the Top 5 in 17 different categories in the Ole Miss record book
- Ranked 2nd in the nation in kills in 2018, topped the SEC in four different categories
- Helped lead the Rebels to their first appearance in the national polls since 2007
- Invited to the U.S. Collegiate National Team Tryouts in Spring 2019
- AVCA All-Region 2017, 2018, 2019
- All-SEC 2018, All-SEC Preseason 2019
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.