BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 8, 2020) - John Mitchell Storm of the Mississippi State men's basketball team and MaKayla Waldner of the Bulldog soccer team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Mississippi State University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Mississippi State's nominees include:
JOHN MITCHELL STORM, Mississippi State, Basketball
Major: Business Administration
- SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2017-2020
- SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2017-18
- SEC Basketball Leadership Counsel (Vice Chair), 2019-20
- SEC Basketball Leadership Counsel, 2017-20
- SEC Career Tour Participant, 2019, 2020
- SEC Community Service Team, 2017, 2018
- Storm appeared in 16 career games over his three seasons with the program which was highlighted by a trio of 20-plus win campaigns, a 2019 NCAA Tournament trip and 2018 NIT Final Four run.
- The last time MSU recorded three straight 20-plus win seasons was in 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10.
MAKAYLA WALDNER, Mississippi State, Soccer
Major: Mechanical Engineering
- 2019 SEC Co-Scholar-Athlete of the Year in Soccer
- Member of SEC Soccer Community Service Team
- Three-time President's List selection
- Three-time SEC honor roll recipient
- Earned MSU's Newsom Award for soccer, given to the player with the highest GPA on the team as a junior
- Soccer representative on MSU's Student-Athlete Advisory Council
- Volunteered in Starkville with the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Campaign and the Boys and Girls Club
- Finished third in school history with 59 career points and second with 28 career goals
- Holds school record for game-winning goals (11) and set the single-season record (5) in 2017
- 2019 First Team All-SEC, fourth first-team selection in MSU history and the first since Catalina Perez in 2017
- 2017 Third Team All-Region and Second Team All-SEC
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.