BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (May 15, 2020) - Caleb Peart of the Vanderbilt football team and Kendall Derry of the Commodore track and field team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Vanderbilt University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2020 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in late May.
Highlights of Vanderbilt's nominees include:
CALEB PEART, Vanderbilt, Football
Major: African American and Diaspora Studies and Medicine, Health and Society
- Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar Award honoree (third-team, football), 2019
- CoSIDA Academic All-District, 2019
- Four-time dean's list
- Four-time SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Perry Wallace Award recipient (Vanderbilt Athletics honor for athletic and academic achievement), 2019
- Finished two undergraduate degrees (African American diaspora studies; medicine, health and society) and currently working toward a Master's of Art degree (medicine, health and society)
- Vanderbilt Athletics Student of the Month,November, 2019
- Member, Vanderbilt Football Leadership Council, 2019
- A four-year letterwinner, Peart appeared as linebacker and special teams contributor
- Playing both inside and outside linebacker, registered single-season highs with 29 tackles and 3.0 tackles for loss, 2019
- In 48 career appearances, Peart posted 59 tackles (25 solo), 5.5 tackles for loss and 2.0 quarterback sacks.
- Community service includes camp counselor at YMCA of Middle Tennessee's Community Action Project (2019), performing at Nashville Rescue Mission, participating in Costa Rica faith-based mission trip, and reading/volunteering at Nashville-area elementary schools
KENDALL DERRY, Vanderbilt, Track & Field
Major: Biomedical Engineering
- Four-year letterwinner for the Commodores,2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship recipient
- Dean's List seven times
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll
- Cross country runner who specialized in the mile and 1,500 meters during track and field season
- Finished Vanderbilt career as school record holder in the outdoor distance medley relay (11:22.86)
- Ranks among Vanderbilt's all-time Top 10 in four different relay events
- Qualified for the finals in the mile at the 2018 SEC Indoor Championships, where she finished 10th
- In her final two outdoor seasons, she was a member of two winning distance medley relay teams, including the Tennessee Relays
- Was a member of Vanderbilt's 4x800-meter relay team at the historic Penn Relays
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Texas A&M track and field member Nathan Hite and Vanderbilt bowler Kristin Quah.