TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The LSU Volleyball team used great energy and physical play to avenge Sunday's loss at Alabama, sweeping the Crimson Tide Monday afternoon 25-20, 25-16, and 25-18 in Foster Auditorium.
The Tigers advanced to 3-3 on the season while Alabama fell to 2-6.
LSU will finish its Fall season next week when Ole Miss come to Baton Rouge for matches on Tuesday, November 24 and Wednesday, November 24. The first match will serve at 1 p.m. and the second match will begin at 11 a.m.
"We were a whole lot more disciplined today," said head coach Fran Flory. "I think Jill Bohnet came in and did a great job in the libero jersey. I thought Karli (Rose) set well - we were efficient offensive. Dyaln (Maberry) hasn't really had a chance yet this year and she got her chance today and she took advantage of it."
In Bohnet's first career start at Libero she had 14 digs and had zero hitting errors allowing sophomore setter Karli Rose to dish the ball for 25 total assists to a number of different Tigers.
"We were assertive behind the serving line. We needed to control the serve and pass battle. We did a really poor job of that yesterday and we did a much better job today."
LSU was dominant serving the ball, tallying 13 aces compared to Alabama's three. The Tigers did a really good jo of controlling the ball with a .932 reception percentage. Taylor Bannister had five aces, Rose had four and Emmaline had two, the first time since 2018 that three Tigers finished with multiple aces.
The senior Bannister led LSU with 11 kills and also had 10 digs for her fourth double-double of the season. She also led LSU with 5 total service aces.With her fourth kill of the match, Bannister moved past Kelly Thompson into the No. 10 spot on LSU's all-time kills leaderboard.
"Taylor is a point scorer," said Flory. "She is the person who gets the ball in clutch situations and scores points."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crimson Tide got ahead early but a quick kill from Anita Anwusi evened the score at 2 and LSU capitalized on several Alabama errors to take the lead, 5-3. Alabama tried to bounce back but a kill from Bannister increased the lead, 7-5.
- After Alabama battle to take the lead, Bannsiter evened the score at 9 with a big kill to try and gain momentum for the Tigers. Alia Williams tallied an ace which shifted the momentum in favor of the Tigers, and Anwusi recorded a kill to put the Tigers in the lead, 14-13.
- LSU went on a run and Bannister recorded an ace to put the Tigers in the lead, 18-13, going late into the set. Anwusi also added another kill, 19-13, and forced the Crimson Tide to take their first timeout of the set.
- The Tide gained momentum and crept within three of the LSU lead, 21-18, and forced the Tigers to take a timeout. Dylan Maberry responded a few points later with a kill to give LSU a 23-20 lead. Bannister added the final kill to secure a set one victory for the Tigers, 25-20.
- LSU started the second set strong with a 3-0 scoring run behind multiple kills from Bannister. Paige Flickinger added a kill to put the Tigers ahead, 4-2.
- LSU played great defense with a big dig from Jill Bohnet to put the Tigers up, 8-4, over Alabama. Karli Rose recorded an ace to increase the Tigers' lead, 10-7. Another point put LSU on a 3-0 scoring run and forced an Alabama timeout.
- Maberry came through for the Tigers with a huge block to keep the Tide off the board, 13-7. Flickinger tallied a kill, 16-8, to further the lead going into the back half of the set.
- LSU capitalized on a 4-0 scoring run to increase its lead to18-8 and forced the Tide to use their final timeout of the set. Back from the timeout the Tide went on a 4-0 scoring run, but the Tigers scored on an Alabama service error and then added a big block to keep the Tide from gaining more ground.
- Anwusi tallied a kill to put give LSU a 10 point lead, 22-12. The Tigers won the second set, 25-16.
- Emmaline Walters kept the momentum rolling for the Tigers, opening the third set with a service ace LSU scored on a long rally off an Alabama error that put them up 4-3. Maberry added a kill ta few points later to increase the Tigers' lead to 6-5.
- Maberry went up for another block a couple points later to keep the Crimson Tide off the board, 8-5.
- Bannister took advantage on a bad pass from Alabama to add a kill and and give LSU a three point lead. Walters added another ace to make it 10-6 and forced Alabama to take their first timeout of the set.
- The Tide bounced back after the timeout and evened the score at 11, but a service error from the Tide gave LSU the lead, 12-11.
- After the teams remained neck and neck Bohnet added an ace that gave LSU the 17-14 lead over the Tide and shifted the momentum in their favor. As LSU began to pull away Rose earned yet another service ace to give LSU a five-point, 20-15 lead, forcing Alabama to call its final timeout., Bannister added another kill as the Tigers inched closer to victory and Maberry delivered the final blow to give LSU the 25-18 third set win and sweep over Alabama.