OXFORD, Miss. - No. 8 Mizzou Volleyball (6-2) capped its fall 2020 season Saturday with a 3-1 (25-19, 25-19, 17-25, 25-18) win over Ole Miss. The Tigers swept their season series against the Rebels and ended their fall campaign with four consecutive victories.
Mizzou's offense enjoyed one of its finest performances this fall Saturday afternoon, recording 49 kills on .369 hitting. Senior OH Kylie Deberg paced the attack with a team-best 16 kills. Sophomore OH Anna Dixon closed yet another strong performance with 11 kills on .364 hitting. The Louisburg, Kansas, native finished her fall with four matches of double-digit kills on .300-plus hitting.
Sophomore OH Kenna Sauer stepped-in at middle blocker this weekend for the Tigers and ended her two-match series Saturday with seven kills (zero errors) on an eye-popping .700 hitting.
Mizzou's strong blocking efforts also stood out Saturday, as its nine total blocks were its second-most in a single-match this fall. A whopping six Tigers posted multiple total blocks, led by sophomore MB Claudia Dillon matching her career-high with four total stops.
#SHOWME TOP PERFORMERS AT OLE MISS
- Deberg: 16 kills, 2 aces, 3 total blocks (1 solo block), 4 digs
- Dixon: 11 kills on .364 hitting, 2 total blocks
- Sauer: 7 kills on .700 hitting, 3 total blocks
- Dillon: 4 kills on .444 hitting, 4 total blocks
- Dariana Hollingsworth-Santana: 7 kills on .375 hitting, 2 aces, 2 total blocks (1 solo block), 6 digs
- Andrea Fuentes: 34 assists, 4 kills, 2 total blocks, 2 aces
- Emily Brown: 10 digs, 6 assists
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH JOSHUA TAYLOR
On Saturday's series sweep over the Rebels...
"I definitely thought we cleaned up some things today and that led to some effective play on the court. Our offense was fantastic and Andrea (Fuentes) did a great job of distributing the ball. We had six different players with four-plus kills, so that made it really hard on Ole Miss' defense to lock-in on specific people. I'm really pleased with how our group came together after that Kentucky series and ended the fall season on a high note. We got some great momentum heading into the spring season and we can't wait to get back on the court already."
- Mizzou now leads its all-time series over Ole Miss, 17-6.
- The Tigers have now won 10 of their last 11 contests against the Rebels, including six consecutive triumphs in Oxford.
- After producing four total aces this series at Ole Miss, Deberg now possesses 128 aces for her career, ranking tied for fifth all-time in Mizzou history.
- Mizzou yet again claimed the opening set Saturday, posting 15 kills (zero errors) on a remarkable .517 hitting. The Tigers produced a first set victory in all eight matches this fall.
- Deberg led the way individually off the bat, tallying seven kills (zero errors) on phenomenal .636 hitting.
- The Tigers' defense also performed well in set one, limiting Ole Miss to .114 hitting and forcing seven attack errors (three via Mizzou blocks).
- In set two, Mizzou utilized a late 7-0 scoring run to help clinch the set. The Tigers' offense delivered once again, posting 14 kills on .375 hitting.
- Mizzou's defense was even better in set two, allowing the Rebels to only produce 10 kills on .074 hitting while forcing eight attack errors.
- After a lackluster third set, Mizzou's offense shifted back in gear in set four with 11 kills (one error) on .500 hitting.
- The Tigers certainly took advantage of a rut by Ole Miss' serving efforts in set four, as the Rebels committed a whopping seven service errors in the final set.