COLUMBIA, MO. - Mizzou Men's Basketball upended No. 21 Oregon, 83-75, on Wednesday night in Omaha, improving to 2-0 on the season. The Tigers earned their first win away from home over a ranked opponent since a Braggin' Rights win over Illinois on Dec. 22, 2012.
Junior Xavier Pinson scored 19 of his team-high 22 points in the second half to lead five Tigers in double figures. Mizzou shot 46.2 percent from the field and committed just seven turnovers on an efficient night offensively.
Senior Mark Smith scored 15 points on four 3-pointers while Javon Pickett chipped in 13 points on 6-of-10 shooting and Dru Smith added 11 points, four assists and three steals.
Junior Jeremiah Tilmon controlled the paint, playing 30 minutes and finishing with 11 points and nine rebounds. Mizzou scored 34 points in the paint and 24 fastbreak points.
The Tigers jumped out to a big lead in the first half with a 14-2 run on the back of two Mark Smith triples. Oregon battled back within 11 at half and cut the deficit to five during a Mizzou scoring drought to open the second frame. The Tigers would never trail again, though, holding off Oregon runs with Pinson fueling the squad offensively.
Oregon cut the Mizzou lead to 42-37 early in the second half, but a Pinson 3-pointer swung the momentum back in the Tigers' favor. Pinson followed with a nifty spin move in the lane and a 4-point play in the ensuing minutes to help secure the victory.
- Junior guard Xavier Pinson led the Tigers in scoring with 22 points, a new season high, while shooting 9-of-10 from the free throw line. Pinson also added four rebounds and three assists on the night.
- Redshirt senior guard Dru Smith collected a team-high three steals, giving him seven already on the season.
- Jeremiah Tilmon, Jr. corralled a team high nine rebounds, and contributed 11 points in 30 strong minutes.
- Javon Pickett tossed in 13 points, keying a second-half Mizzou run.
- Mizzou improved to 6-0 all-time vs. Oregon.
- The Tigers picked up their first win away from home against a ranked opponent since beating No. 10 Illinois on Dec. 22, 2012.
- Mizzou is now 9-3 in the last 12 games in which Mark Smith reaches double figures.
- Mizzou is 9-1 in its last 10 games in which Javon Pickett reaches double figures.
- Xavier Pinson has scored 17+ points seven times in his last 11 games. The Tigers are 7-3 with Pinson as their leading scorer in the last two seasons.
- Dru Smith has recorded an assist in 75 consecutive career games.
Mizzou travels to Wichita State on Sunday for a clash with the Shockers. Tip is set for 1 p.m. CT on ESPN2. For all the latest on Mizzou Men's Basketball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @MizzouHoops.