The following was originally released and published by The Winning Edge on February, 24, 2021.
Atlanta - Today, The Winning Edge Leadership Academy announced 10 current and former minority student-athletes as the first cohort for the "Gigs for Game Changers" initiative with Chicago-based Wilson Sporting Goods. During the six-week program, Game Changers will work remotely with Wilson mentors to complete five short-term projects with the marketing department of Wilson's Team Sports division. Game Changers will gain experience working in a variety of marketing functions, build their network through ongoing meetings with Wilson leadership and professional development sessions, culminating with a presentation of their findings at the conclusion of the program.
"We received more than 50 applications for our first corporate 'Gigs for Game Changers' program and selecting only 10 to create this cohort was no easy task. With that being said, we are delighted to bring this diverse group of high achievers together and provide a meaningful pathway from college to a career in sports business with the help of Wilson," said Corinne Milien, co-founder and Executive Director of The Winning Edge Leadership Academy. "These Game Changers will have real-world experience to put on their resume and a network of professionals rooting for them as they begin their journey in the industry."
Winter 2021 Projects
- Developing an Actionable Persona for Today's Avid Athlete
- How Consumer Insights Influence Product Development
- How to Measure Marketing Efficacy Across Touch Points
- Understanding and Forming a POV on the new NCAA Name, Image & Likeness Rules
- Identifying a Micro-Influencer Roster for Your Brand
The Wilson "Gigs for Game Changers" Winter cohort features student-athletes representing eight schools and six different sports. Six of the 10 Game Changers are currently in or have completed graduate school.
2021 G4G: Wilson Winter Cohort:
- Cravont Charleston, North Carolina State University, Track & Field
- Jonathon Doerer, University of Notre Dame, Football
- Taylor Johnson, University of Nebraska, Track & Field
- Daniel Jung, University of Notre Dame, Baseball
- Malai Lee, University of South Florida, Soccer
- Joy McArthur, University of Southern California, Track & Field
- Mariah Smith, University of Tennessee, Golf
- Clifford Taylor IV, University of Florida, Football
- Megan Verceles Carr, University of Nebraska, Gymnastics
About The Winning Edge Leadership Academy:
The Winning Edge Leadership Academy develops the next generation of diverse leaders in the sports and entertainment business by providing an influential network, workforce training, and financial resources. Launched in 2015, as a nonprofit organization and social movement, The Winning Edge Leadership Academy has altered the career and life trajectories of 70current and former student-athletes and influenced more than 400 students and young professionals- while increasing the talent pipeline for organizations leading the way in sports and entertainment. WE are creating a community of leaders who will shape the landscape of decision making in the industry. Visit www.wegamechange.org for more information.
About Wilson Sporting Goods Co.:
Chicago-based Wilson Sporting Goods Co., a subsidiary of Amer Sports Corporation, is the world's leading manufacturer of high-performance sports equipment, apparel and accessories. Wilson brings more than a century of innovation in sports at every level of play. It uses player insights to develop products that push equipment innovation into new territories and empower athletes at every level to perform at their best. Visit www.wilson.com for more information.