OMAHA, Neb. - Mizzou Volleyball (16-8) saw its 2020 NCAA Volleyball Championships end with a 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-21) loss to No. 9 Ohio State in the second round on Thursday in the CHI Health Convention Center.
Senior Kylie Deberg led Mizzou and the match with 17 kills in her final match as a Tiger. Sophomore Anna Dixon added eight kills to the Mizzou attack.
Ohio State opened the match hot on the offensive side of the net, hitting .519 to take the first set. From their it was the Buckeye block which proved the difference, holding Mizzou to .026 hitting in the second set and .205 in the third.
#SHOWME TOP PERFORMERS
- Kylie Deberg: 17 kills on .250 hitting, 6 digs, 1 block
- Anna Dixon: 8 kills
- Emily Brown: 12 digs
- Andrea Fuentes: 26 assists, 5 digs, 2 kills
HEAR FROM HEAD COACH JOSHUA TAYLOR
On season-ending loss...
"We did everything we could to the best of our ability. I think that's what sports is - you do the best you can and either it's good enough or not. Today wasn't our day, but I wouldn't change anything."
- Mizzou advanced to the second round of the tournament for the seventh-consecutive appearance.
- With 17 kills, Deberg eclipsed the 500-point plateau for a third-straight year.
- Freshman Emily Brown produced a match-leading 12 digs.
- Deberg finished her career setting a single-season Mizzou record in kills per set (4.76) and career records in kills per set (4.31) and points per set (5.11).
- Fuentes finished her career with 3,088 assists, becoming the seventh Tiger to surpass 3,000 helpers. Her 10.19 career assists per set rank fifth all-time at Mizzou.