BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (April 23, 2021) - Caroline Chipman of the Georgia soccer team team and Davis Thompson of the Bulldog men's golf team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Georgia.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2021 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on May 18.
Highlights of Georgia's nominees include:
CAROLINE CHIPMAN, Georgia, Soccer
- Chosen as the female recipient of the Joel Eaves Award as the Georgia student-athlete with the highest GPA entering her senior year academically, 2019
- Played in every game of her collegiate career.
- Chosen as a Presidential Scholar on the UGA Honor Roll multiple times.
- Selected as a CoSIDA Academic Third-Team All-American, 2019
- SEC Honor Roll, 2019, 2018
- Integral part of a Georgia defense that ranked in the top 10 for goals against average and fewest goals allowed in program history for a single season after three straight years.
- Started in all 19 games as a junior, fourth on the team in minutes played.
- As a sophomore started in all 18 games, playing 1478 minutes... took three shots with two on target.
- Played in all 18 games as a freshman, making 15 starts... second on the team in minutes played with 1,425.... Scored one goal, a game-winner at Charlotte.
DAVIS THOMPSON, Georgia, Men's Golf
Major: Sport Management
- Chosen as the male recipient of the Joel Eaves Award as the Georgia student-athlete with the highest GPA entering his senior year academically, 2020
- Named a recipient of the Ramsey Scholarship for Academic & Athletic Excellence, 2020
- Chosen as a 2020 Srixon/Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar
- Named several times to the SEC and UGA academic honor rolls
- Won the team's Howell Hollis Award as the Bulldog with the best grade point average three straight seasons
- Chosen as a First-Team All-American in 2020 and Honorable Mention All-American in 2019
- Named First-Team All-SEC in 2020 and Second-Team All-SEC in 2019.
- Named to the 2019 SEC Community Service Team
- Inducted into UGA's Student-Athlete Leadership Academy in 2019
- Ascended to No. 1 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking on Nov. 11, 2020, and again on March 9, 2021.
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were LSU men's basketball member Skylar Mays and Kentucky swimmer Asia Seidt.