ATHENS, Ga. - Alabama Softball clinched its weekend series over Georgia Saturday afternoon in convincing fashion, defeating the Bulldogs 13-3 in five innings.
The 13 runs are tied for the most ever scored by Alabama (38-7, 14-6 SEC) over Georgia (29-16, 7-13 SEC), previously doing so in a 13-4 victory on March 14, 2010 in Athens. The victory improves the Tide's win streak to seven straight over the Bulldogs, stretching back to the series finale in 2018, and marks the first series win in Athens since 2015.
Alabama jumped on Georgia immediately, scoring four runs in the first inning. The Bulldogs got a run back in the bottom half of the inning but the Crimson Tide responded with three more runs in the top of the second, all coming with two out. A five-run third put Alabama ahead by double digits and the Tide added another in the fourth to make it 13-1. Needing five runs to avoid the run-rule in the bottom of the fifth, the Bulldogs cut into the deficit with a two-run home run but it was too little, too late as Alabama closed out the inning to complete the 13-3 run-rule victory.
Nine different Tide players earned a hit on Saturday, including a season-best three from Bailey Hemphill plus two-hit performances from KB Sides and Savannah Woodard. Woodard also drove in three runs, while Maddie Morgan led the team with a season-high five RBIs on a three-run double, RBI fielder's choice and bases-loaded walk. Krystal Goodman (7-1) pitched the complete-game victory, striking out three.
- Alabama improves to 48-20 all-time vs. Georgia, including the last seven straight, and 19-11 in Athens
- The 13 runs are tied for the most scored by Alabama in the all-time series vs. Georgia, previously winning 13-4 on March 14, 2010 in Athens
- The win clinched the Tide's first series win in Athens since 2015 and a win Sunday would mark its first three-game road sweep over the Bulldogs since 2001
- Alabama has won five of its seven SEC series with a chance to earn its third three-game sweep on Sunday
- The Tide is now 8-3 on the road in SEC play this season
- The five RBIs are a season-high for Maddie Morgan
- Bailey Hemphill's three hits and three runs scored are both season highs, with the former giving her 14 multi-hit games this season
- Hemphill also added two walks to her school-record career total, improving to 217
- T1 | With the bases loaded, KB Sides dropped an RBI single into right field moving everyone up 60 feet (1-0, 0 Out)
- T1 | Savannah Woodard drove in a run with an RBI groundout (2-0, 0 Out)
- T1 | Kaylee Tow scored on an RBI fielder's choice (3-0, 1 Out)
- T1 | A sac fly RBI from Taylor Clark brought another run home (4-0, 1 Out)
- B1 | Georgia got on the board with an RBI groundout (4-1, 0 Out)
- T2 | Maddie Morgan drew a bases-loaded walk (5-1, 2 Out)
- T2 | Jenna Johnson swung at the first pitch for a two-run single to left (7-1, 2 Out)
- T3 | An errant throw on a rundown allowed Alexis Mack to score from third (8-1, 1 Out)
- T3 | An infield single from Woodard with the bases loaded moved everyone up a base (9-1, 1 Out)
- T3 | Morgan banged a double off the right field wall to drive in three runs (12-1, 1 Out)
- T4 | With the bases loaded, Woodard singled through the left side to score a run (13-1, 1 Out)
- B5 | Georgia's Sydney Kuma hit a two-run home run (13-3, 0 Out)
UP NEXT - ALABAMA AT GEORGIA (ATHENS, GA.)
- Sunday, May 2 - 2 p.m. CT (SEC Network)