TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama softball secured its 13th trip to the Women's College World series with a 4-1 win over Kentucky in game two of the Super Regional series.
The Crimson Tide will open play at the Women's College World Series Thursday, June 3 against the winner of the Fayetteville Super Regional between Arkansas and Arizona. Game times and TV information will be determined at a later date.
Alabama (50-7) took a quick 2-0 lead over Kentucky (43-16) in the first inning on a two-run double from Kaylee Tow. The Wildcats got a run back in the bottom of the second and it remained 2-1 until Maddie Morgan blasted a two-run home run over the right field fence to stretch the lead to 4-1. The lead held thanks to the Tide defense and a stellar outing from Lexi Kilfoyl (14-3), who earned the complete-game win with just one run on five hits with seven strikeouts.
FROM HEAD COACH PATRICK MURPHY
"It was a heck of a good weekend for us. I have so much respect for Kentucky; the players, the coaching staff. They're one of my favorite groups in college softball. [Lexi] Kilfoyl was outstanding and we got two big hits when we needed them. Usually that's the name of the game. We played some great defense. Taylor Clark and Maddie Morgan made some big plays. We didn't have any errors and that was key, because with a drop ball pitcher you're going to have a lot of ground balls."
- Alabama will be making its 13th trip to the Women's College World Series, previously doing so in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2019
- The Crimson Tide is now 24-13 all-time in Super Regionals, including a 21-5 mark at home
- Alabama has now won 11 of the 16 Super Regional rounds it has played in, including 10 of the 11 at Rhoads Stadium
- This is the eighth Super Regional the Tide has won in two games
- Alabama improves its current win streak to 18 games, 16 of which have come over ranked foes
T1 | Kaylee Tow blasted a two-run double off the wall in left (2-0, 0 Out)
B2 | A Kentucky runner got caught in a rundown but the runner from third scored on the fielder's choice (2-1, 0 Out)
T4 | Maddie Morgan hit a two-run home run to right field (4-1, 1 Out)
UP NEXT - WOMEN'S COLLEGE WORLD SERIES (OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLA.)
- Thursday, June 3 vs. Arkansas/Arizona - TBD