BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 13, 2022) - Nick Brahms of the Auburn football team and Keira McCarrell of the Tigers' women's track and field squads have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Auburn University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Auburn's nominees include:
NICK BRAHMS, Auburn, Football
Major: Flight Management
· CoSIDA first team Academic All-America, 2021
· One of 30 Senior CLASS Award candidates, 2021
· 2020 graduate in professional flight management with a 3.89 GPA
· 1A FAR Academic Excellence Award
· Will be a May 2022 graduate with a master's in business administration
· Qualified for job offer through the Delta Propel program
· Training to become a certified flight instructor
· Chi Alpha Sigma national student-athlete honor society
· SEC Academic Honor Roll, Athletic Director's Honor Roll and Dean's list
· Wuerffel Trophy nominee
· Four-year starter at center; 40 career games played with 33 career starts
· Rimington Trophy watch list
KEIRA MCCARRELL, Auburn, Track & Field
Major: Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences
· PNC Achievers Award Winner (based on athletic ability and academic merit), 2021
· USTFCCCA All-Academic Athlete, 2021
· SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2021
· First-Year SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2020
· Athletic Director's Honor Roll, 2020
· Aspires to work in the therapy field, either as a speech-language pathologist or an athletic trainer, wanting to make a substantial positive impact on minority communities
· No. 1 nationally in javelin throw after winning prestigious Texas Relays with a 14-foot PR (56.56m/185-6)
· No. 2 performer in school history in javelin throw
· Javelin throw at Texas Relays ranks as the fifth-best in program history
· Posted a career-high 3,703 points in the pentathlon to close indoor season at the SEC Indoor Championships (2/25/22)
· Two-time NCAA Outdoor Championship participant
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.