BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 20, 2022) - Haleigh Stackpole of the Ole Miss soccer team and Simon Junk of the Rebel tennis squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Mississippi.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Ole Miss' nominees include:
HALEIGH STACKPOLE, Ole Miss, Soccer
- Graduated with a degree in biology with a 3.85 GPA
- Honoree on the Athletic Director's List every semester
- Selected to the Chancellor's Honor Roll all but two semesters
- SEC First Year Academic Honor Roll, 2019
- SEC Spring Academic Honor Roll, 2020, 2021
- Ole Miss' representative on the SEC Community Service Team
- Named United Soccer Coaches Second Team All-Region and Second Team All-SEC
- Ranked third in the nation in assists
- 21 combined goals and assists were the second most in the SEC
- Scored two game winners against Alabama and Vanderbilt
- At one point, assisted on seven-straight Rebel goals
SIMON JUNK, Ole Miss, Men's Tennis
- Carries a 3.84 GPA
- SEC Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year, 2020
- 3-time ITA Scholar Athlete, 2019, 2020, 2021
- 2-time SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2020, 2021
- SEC First Year Player Honor Roll, 2019
- Community Service initiatives include Adopt-A-Basket, Night To Shine, Hope to Dream, Trunk or Treat, Oxford Elementary Car Drop, Oxford Health & Rehab, Feed The Sip, College Football Playoff Extra Yard for Teachers and Books and Bears
- Member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and Rebels International Committee
- Over 100 Career Victories (Singles & Doubles Combined)
- Career record of 58-45 in singles and 47-40 in doubles
- Competed in NCAA Team Championships, 2019, 2021
- ITA Southern Championships Singles Quarterfinalist, 2021ITA Southern Championships Doubles Quarterfinalist, 2021
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.