COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Alabama softball took game three of its weekend series Sunday against Texas A&M, defeating the Aggies 4-2 to salvage its weekend series.
Alabama (39-8, 14-7 SEC) scored in the first inning and answered each of Texas A&M's (26-18, 5-13 SEC) runs with a run of their own in each of the next half-innings, plus an insurance run in the sixth to bring it to its final tally of 4-2. Jenna Lord and Ashley Prange each hit a solo home run off the scoreboard, part of a 2-for-3 day for Prange for her 10th multi-hit game of the year. Megan Bloodworth was 1-for-3 with a walk to extend her hitting streak to seven games and reached-base streak to eight. Montana Fouts (20-4) notched her 20th win of the season, marking the third 20-win season of her career.
For the first time this weekend, Alabama got on the board first courtesy of a solo home run from Lord in the top of the first. With a runner at second and two out in the bottom of the second, Cayden Baker dropped a single into left to drive the runner in and tie it at 1-1. The Tide answered right back in the next half-inning as a double in the gap from Prange drove in Savannah Woodard from first to make it 2-1 Alabama.
The Tide left two runners in scoring position in the top of the fourth, unable to add to its 2-1 lead before Katie Dack sent the first pitch of the home half of the inning down the left field line for a solo home run to tie it at 2-2. Alabama responded immediately yet again as Prange crushed a solo home run over the scoreboard to make it 3-2 leading off the top of the fifth. A sac fly RBI from Woodard in the sixth added an insurance run and the Tide stranded the bases loaded in the seventh, bringing the top of the Texas A&M order up in the bottom of the seventh trailing by two. Fouts and the Tide defense retired them in order to secure the 4-2 win and salvage the series.
- The win salvaged the series and avoided the Alabama's first three-game sweep loss since April 26-28, 2013 (at LSU)
- The Tide improves to 30-4 when scoring first and 16-2 when scoring in first inning
- The home run was Ashley Prange's sixth of the season and Jenna Lord's second
- Megan Bloodworth extended her hitting streak to seven games and her reached-base streak to eight
- Today's win was the 20th of the season for Montana Fouts, marking her third 20-win season in Tuscaloosa
- T1 | Jenna Lord hit a solo home run (1-0, 1 Out)
- B2 | Cayden Baker dropped an RBI single into left (1-1, 2 Out)
- T3 | Ashley Prange hit a double in the gap to drive in Savannah Woodard from first (2-1, 1 Out)
- B4 | Katie Dack hit a solo home run down the left field line (2-2, 0 Out)
- T5 | Prange crushed a solo home run over the scoreboard (3-2, 0 Out)
- T6 | Woodard lined out to left and Megan Bloodworth tagged up and scored from third on the sac fly RBI (4-2, 1 Out)
Up Next: at Western Kentucky (Bowling Green, Ky.)
- Wednesday, April 27 - 4 p.m. CT