BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 25, 2022) - Daniel Rodrigues of the South Carolina men's tennis team and Courtney Weber of the Gamecock volleyball squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of South Carolina.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of South Carolina's nominees include:
DANIEL RODRIGUES, South Carolina, Men's Tennis
- Three-time ITA Scholar-Athlete, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Co-winner of South Carolina's Ernest Brooks Athlete of the Year Award, 2022
- ITA Carolina Region Rookie of the Year, 2019
- SEC All-Freshman Team, 2019
- Two-time First-Team All-SEC, 2019, 2020
- Two-time SEC All-Tournament Team, 2020, 2021
- 2021 NCAA Singles Runner-Up
- Became the first player in program history to be the No. 1 player in the ITA national rankings Tied for highest final rank in program history at No. 3 (2021) Became the tenth player in program history to achieve 100 career singles wins
- Ended the 2022 dual match season on a 12-match singles win streak with all 12 wins over ranked opponents
- Four Time SEC Player of the Week during the 2022 dual season
COURTNEY WEBER, South Carolina, Volleyball
- Holds a 3.755 GPA in chemistry and will pursue a doctorate after graduating
- Current Student Athletic Advisory Board President and represents Carolina at the SEC level in SAAC
- Recorded well over 100 community service hours, most notably spending numerous hours with cancer patients at the Prisma Children's Hospital
- She has over 300 career assists on the volleyball court as a four-year member of the team, helping the Gamecocks reach the NCAA tournament in 2018, 2019 and 2021
- Following her indoor volleyball career ending in the fall, Weber now has joined the beach volleyball team for the spring semester
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.