BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 26, 2022) - Hannah Jefcoat of the Tennessee women's cross country and track & field team and Logan Steenstra of the Volunteer baseball squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Tennessee.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Tennessee's nominees include:
HANNAH JEFCOAT, Tennessee, Cross Country/Track & Field
- Graduated from Tennessee in May 2021 with an undergraduate degree in Kinesiology
- Pursuing a Master's degree in Agricultural leadership, education & communication
- Four-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Four-time USTFCCCA Track & Field All-Academic Athlete, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Two-time CoSIDA Academic All-District honoree, 2020, 2021
- Earned the Volunteer of Distinction award from the University of Tennessee for her academic achievement and professional promise
- Member of the 2019-20 VOLeaders Academy cohort where she had the opportunity to visit Belize
- Co-President of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, 2021-22
- USTFCCCA All-America Honorable Mention for pole vault in 2019 and 2021
- Indoor and outdoor school record holder for women's pole vault with clearances of 4.34m (14-2.75) indoors and 4.19m (13-9) outdoors
- Three-time scorer at the SEC Championships (Indoor: 2019, 2020 / Outdoor: 2021)
LOGAN STEENSTRA, Tennessee, Baseball
- SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2021
- Majoring in Kinesiology and boasts a 3.67 GPA
- Dean's List Cum Laude, 2021
- Summa Cum Laude, 2020
- Recipient of the Champe Summerson Hyatt Athletic Scholarship Fund
- Recipient of the Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
- Batting .357 with two homers, three doubles and 10 RBIs this season
- Slugging .679 with a .486 on-base percentage and 1.165 OPS
- Batted .292 with 13 runs scored and eight doubles in 15 starts in 2021, helping lead Tennessee to its first College World Series since 2005
- Selected in the 40th Round of the 2019 MLB Draft by the Minnesota Twins
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.