BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 27, 2022) - Peter Simmons of the Texas A&M men's swimming and diving team and Macie Kolb of the Aggie soccer squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Texas A&M University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Texas A&M's nominees include:
PETER SIMMONS, Texas A&M, Swimming & Diving
Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Recipient of the Craig C. Brown Outstanding Engineering Award, 2021
- Earned TAMU Distinguished Student honors
- Multi-year member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll, AD Honor Roll and Dean's Honor Roll
- SEC Men's Swimming & Diving Community Service Team, 2021, 2022
- SAAC President, 2021-22
- Vice President of Selfless Service, 2020-21
- Clocked personal collegiate best times in the 50 free, 50 back, 100 back and 100 fly in 2021
- Earned the team's Aggie Heart Award and Trey Heye Memorial Award in 2021
MACIE KOLB, Texas A&M, Soccer
Major: Biomedical Sciences
- Texas A&M Athletics Bill Erwin Scholar Athlete of the Year Award, 2021, 2022 Owns a 4.0 GPA in Biomedical Sciences
- Earned spot on Dean's List and AD Honor Roll every semester of her career at A&M
- COSIDA Academic All-District 7 First Team, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Texas A&M Soccer Lafield Academic Excellence Award, 2019, 2020, 2021
- SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Started all 18 games on the backline as a senior, logging two assists
- Played in 73 career games, registering 18 points with five goals and eight assists as she helped the Aggies to an SEC regular-season title and NCAA Elite Eight finish in 2020-21 and an NCAA Sweet 16 in 2018.
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.