BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 28, 2022) - Raegan Kelley of the Vanderbilt soccer team and Harrison Smith of the Commodore football squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Vanderbilt University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of Vanderbilt's nominees include:
RAEGAN KELLEY, Vanderbilt, Soccer
Major: Medicine, Health and Society
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll honoree
- Owns a 3.52 grade-point average
- Four-year member of the Vanderbilt soccer team
- Named to United Soccer Coaches All-Southeast Region third team
- All-SEC first team, 2021
- Started all 19 games for the Commodores in 2021
- Led team with eight goals
- Career-high minutes played in first round of SEC Tournament vs. Florida (106)
- Scored game-winner at Lipscomb
- Multiple goals scored in two games
- Four-time Vanderbilt dean's list honoree
HARRISON SMITH, Vanderbilt, Football
Major: Biological sciences, Classical and Mediterranean Studies
- Owns a 3.753 cumulative GPA through fall 2021
- SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020, 2021
- CoSIDA Academic All-District recipient
- Finished career fifth all-time in yards per punt
- Capped career with 32 games, 196 punts and 42.4 yards per punt average
- Career-long punt of 66 yards at Colorado State (2021), with four punts in the game beyond 50 yards
The SEC provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are announced in May, as well as honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Florida women's swimming team member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M men's track & field and cross country team.