GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Sean Harney took the ball and twirled seven shutdown innings, giving Kentucky exactly what it needed in an 8-1 victory over Florida in the series finale at Condron Ballpark on Sunday afternoon.
Harney yielded just one run in a UK career-best 7.0 innings, lowering his earned run average to 2.82. Tyler Guilfoil struck out five in two innings of relief to slam the door and keep the Cats (24-20, 7-14 SEC) alive in the race for the Southeastern Conference Tournament.
Junior infielder Chase Estep smoked a line single to open the game and notch his 100th career hit, making him the 56th player in school history to accomplish the feat. Ryan Ritter singled to leave him with 99 career hits, on shy of joining Estep. Jake Plastiak belted his 12th homer of the season off the top of the batter's eye and John Thrasher lined his first in blue out to left field before Adam Fogel delivered the knockout punch with a two-run shot in the ninth.
- UK has scored in 286 of 290 games in coach Nick Mingione's tenure.
- UK stole two bases and is 53-of-58 on stolen base attempts this season.
- The UK pitchers have struck out 456 in 44 games.
- Senior RHP Sean Harney pitched 7.0 IP, allowing one run on 100 pitches, walking one and striking out seven. The 7.0 IP are a UK career high. He now ranks eighth on UK's career earned run average for pitchers with at least 75.0 innings pitched (3.26).
- Junior INF Chase Estep became the 56th member of Kentucky's career 100-Hit Club with a first inning single. He has reached base safely in 41 of 44 games this season.
- Junior IF Ryan Ritter now has 99 career hits. He has a six-game hit streak.
- Senior IF Jake Plastiak hit his 12th home run of the season and second of the series. He had his team-leading 15th multi-hit game of the season and 17th career.
- Senior IF Daniel Harris IV drove in a pair. He has a four-game hit streak and eight-game reached base safely streak. He has six multi-RBI games.
- Senior OF Adam Fogel hit his third home run of the season. He has 11 multi-hit and six multi-RBI games this season.
Kentucky welcomes top-ranked Tennessee to Kentucky Proud Park on Thursday night. First pitch is at 7 p.m. ET on the SEC Network. The radio call will be on the UK Sports Network.