TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Alabama volleyball capped an undefeated opening weekend at the Crimson Tide Invitational with a hard-fought four set win over Southern Miss Saturday afternoon at Foster Auditorium.
Alabama charged ahead with a 9-4 run to close out the opening set, 25-18, and overcame an early eight-point deficit in the second to win in extra points, 27-25, and take a 2-0 match lead. The third set was another tight battle, with both teams tied at 24-24 before the Golden Eagles avoided the sweep with a 27-25 decision to send it to a fourth set. Neither team held a lead larger than two points in the fourth until the Tide scored seven unanswered to pull ahead 17-12. Southern Miss rallied back to tie it at 19-19 and again at 21-21. The Golden Eagles took a late lead at 22-21 but a kill from Micah Gryniewicz tied it back up and gave Alabama possession, with a pair of aces from Chaise Campbell and a kill from Alyiah Wells sealing the 25-22 set win and the four-set match victory.
For the second time in three matches, Gryniewicz led the team in kills, posting 12 in Saturday's win. Kendyl Reaugh tallied her first double-double of the season and the sixth of her career with 11 kills and 15 digs. Starting at libero, Victoria Schmer led the team with 18 digs which is more than double her previous career best. Campbell tied the team lead with four blocks but was also aggressive at the service line with a career-best five service aces.
From Head Coach Rashinda Reed "We were really focusing on the things we've been working on in practice, which includes putting everything out on the court. It's effort, being brave as hell and being satisfied with everything out there-walking away and saying you have done everything you could. We are constantly reminding our players about that mindset. We always love dubs, but it's not all about the wins. It's about the work that we talked about within the preseason and seeing that transfer onto the court. It's about the work, the journey and everything that happens within the match that truly matters."
- Micah Gryniewicz has led the team in kills in two of the three matches this season, posting 12 on Sunday to push her season total to 38 (3.45/set)
- Kendyl Reaugh posted the first double-double for the Tide this season (11 kills, 15 digs), the sixth of her career and her first since 2021
- Chaise Campbell tied for the team lead with four blocks (one solo, three assisted) and also earned a career-high five service aces
- Victoria Schmer dug a team-leading 18 balls, which is more than double her previous career high
- Alabama had a 14-3 advantage at the service line on Saturday and finished the weekend ahead 33-9 against its three opponents
- Stat Leaders vs. Southern Miss
- Kills: Micah Gryniewicz - 12
- Assists: Brooke Slusser - 32
- Digs: Victoria Schmer - 18
- Blocks: Three Tied - 4
- Aces: Chaise Campbell - 5
Set-by-Set vs. Southern Miss
- Set 1: Alabama 25, Southern Miss 18
- Set 2: Alabama 27, Southern Miss 25
- Set 3: Southern Miss 27, Alabama 25
- Set 4: Alabama 25, Southern Miss 22
Up Next: Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup (Houston, Texas)
- Friday, Sept. 2 vs. Oregon State - 1 p.m. CT
- Friday, Sept. 2 at Houston - 7:30 p.m. CT
- Saturday, Sept. 3 vs. Central Arkansas - 1:30 p.m. CT