FORTH WORTH, Texas - Alabama volleyball hit .396 as a team en route to a three-set win over Texas State Saturday afternoon to close out its weekend at the Horned Frog Invitational.
Tied at 6-6 in the opening set, Alabama (6-6) went on a 7-2 run before Texas State (7-4) took its first timeout and the Tide maintained the momentum from there, winning the opening frame 25-15. Looking to even up the match, the Bobcats held the lead halfway through set two but Alabama scrapped back to tie it and the teams were neck-and-neck down the stretch, tied at 23-23 before back-to-back kills from Maddy McCormick and Alyiah Wells gave the Tide the two-point win. The third set played out nearly identically to the second, with the teams knotted up at 23-23 when a kill from McCormick set up Kendyl Reaugh to seal the three-set win with an ace.
Alabama's .396 team hitting percentage is its highest since posting a .405 clip in the Sept. 14, 2019 win over Alcorn State. McCormick led the team with a career-high 13 kills, finishing with 19 on the weekend along with a .368 hitting percentage. Wells had 11 kills on 15 swings with just one error, good for a .667 hitting percentage in the match. Kendyl Reaugh led the team with 14 points on the day, posting 10 kills, two aces and four block assists.
- The sweep is Alabama's second three-set victory of the season
- The Tide remains undefeated on Saturdays this season with a 4-0 record
- Alabama's .396 team hitting percentage is its highest since hitting .405 on Sept. 14, 2019 vs. Alcorn State
- Maddy McCormick's 13 kills marks a career high for the sophomore
- Brooke Slusser led the team with 38 assists but, with six digs, ended her double-double streak at four matches
- Kills: Maddy McCormick - 13
- Assists: Brooke Slusser - 38
- Digs: Brooke Slusser - 6
- Blocks: Brooke Slusser - 5
- Aces: Kendyl Reaugh, Abby Marjama - 2
- Set 1: Alabama 25, Texas State 15
- Set 2: Alabama 25, Texas State 23
- Set 3: Alabama 25, Texas State 23
Up Next: Week Five
- Wednesday, Sept. 21 at #16 Florida - Gainesville, Fla. - 6 p.m. CT
- Saturday, Sept. 24 vs. Auburn - Tuscaloosa, Ala. - 1 p.m. CT
- Sunday, Sept. 24 vs. Auburn - Tuscaloosa, Ala. - 1 p.m. CT - SEC Network