Blanco leads No.9 Tide to victory over No. 19 Georgia
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -The No. 9 Alabama gymnastics team defeated No. 19 Georgia, 197.525-197.325, Friday night in Stegeman Coliseum. With the win, the Tide moves to 6-3 on the season and 4-2 within the SEC.
Alabama opened up a .225 lead after the opening rotation with a 49.375 on the uneven bars, closed out with a 9.900 from Makarri Doggette and a 9.950 from Luisa Blanco. The Tide extended its lead with a 49.350 on the vault, followed up by a 49.475 on floor exercise, UA's highest rotation total of the night. Alabama closed out the win with a 49.325 on the balance beam, with every single rotation score 49.325-or-higher.
Blanco tied her season-high to win the all-around with a 39.750, also earning the event titles on the uneven bars (9.950), balance beam (9.950) and floor exercise (9.950). Shallon Olsen tied her career-best on the vault with a 9.950 to win her first event title of the season, with Ella Burgess leading off on balance beam with a 9.950 to tie Blanco for the balance beam title.
Head Coach Ashley Johnston Said
"We really had to fight for this one tonight. Competing in back-to-back away meets is never easy on a team, and I was really proud of the way we went for it tonight and continued to work and adjust. It wasn't always easy, but we plugged away and fought for every tenth. I think that is going to be what we learned most from tonight: how to be fighters."
Inside the Scoresheet
- Alabama scored a 197.525 in the win, marking Alabama's fourth consecutive score of 197-or-higher.
- Luisa Blanco earned the all-around title as well as event titles on uneven bars (9.950), balance beam (9.950) and floor exercise (9.950).
- The senior's 39.750 in the all-around ties her season-best.
- Shallon Olsen won the vault, tying her career-high with a 9.950, earning her first event title of the year.
- Ella Burgess tied her career-best with a 9.950 on the balance beam in the leadoff position, tying Blanco for the event title.
- Alabama has now scored 49.475-or-higher in three consecutive meets on floor exercise, with no score under 49.000 this season.
- Freshman Gabby Gladieux scored a 9.900 on floor, and has scored a 9.9-or-higher in each of her last five routines on the event.
- The Crimson Tide posted 10 scores of 9.900-or-higher in the meet, with Lilly Hudson (9.900), Olsen (9.950) and Blanco (9.900) on the vault, Doggette (9.900) and Blanco (9.900) on the uneven bars, Burgess (9.950) and Blanco (9.950) on the balance beam, and Mati Waligora (9.900), Gladieux (9.900) and Blanco (9.950) on the floor exercise.
- Alabama returns home to compete against the LSU Tigers in Coleman Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 24.
- The meet will get underway at 7 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on SEC Network+.